Hawkins Family Associate Professor
Dr. Shen’s research interests lie at precision medicine and systems biology. His lab integrates engineering, computational and biological techniques to study cancer, stem cells, microbiota and the nervous system in the gut. This multidisciplinary work has been instrumental in initiating several translational clinical trials in precision therapy. He is the director of the Woo Center for Big Data and Precision Health (DAP) and a core member of the Center for Genomics and Computational Biology (GCB).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Hawkins Family Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 2167 Ciemas, 101 Science Drive, Box 3382, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9184
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2008
- M.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
- B.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
Metabolic and epigenetic reprogramming of cancer metastasis, stem cell and organoid technology, microbiome-host-disease interaction, humanized immune cancer models, intravital imaging, CRISPR/dCAS9 epigenetic screening, and peripheral neuromodulation.
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Cancer Cells Adapt to Gorge on Sugar in the Liver (Apr 27, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Cancer Drug Helps Treat Tuberculosis (Apr 27, 2018)
- A literal window into the second brain in our stomachs (Jun 23, 2016 | Newsweek)
- A literal window into the second brain in our stomachs (Jun 13, 2016 | Newsweek)
- Window in mouse shows its ‘gut feelings’ (Jun 8, 2016 | Gizmag)
- Real-time View of Enteric Nervous System Provides a Window to the Gut's Brain (Jun 7, 2016)
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer (Feb 4, 2016)
- Xiling Shen: An Engineering Approach to Biomedical Challenges (Feb 24, 2015 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Bu, P; Chen, K-Y; Xiang, K; Johnson, C; Crown, SB; Rakhilin, N; Ai, Y; Wang, L; Xi, R; Astapova, I; Han, Y; Li, J; Barth, BB; Lu, M; Gao, Z; Mines, R; Zhang, L; Herman, M; Hsu, D; Zhang, G-F; Shen, X, Aldolase B-Mediated Fructose Metabolism Drives Metabolic Reprogramming of Colon Cancer Liver Metastasis., Cell Metab, vol 27 no. 6 (2018), pp. 1249-1262.e4 [10.1016/j.cmet.2018.04.003] [abs].
- Rakhilin, N; Barth, B; Choi, J; Muñoz, NL; Kulkarni, S; Jones, JS; Small, DM; Cheng, Y-T; Cao, Y; LaVinka, C; Kan, E; Dong, X; Spencer, M; Pasricha, P; Nishimura, N; Shen, X, Simultaneous optical and electrical in vivo analysis of the enteric nervous system., Nature Communications, vol 7 (2016) [10.1038/ncomms11800] [abs].
- Bu, P; Wang, L; Chen, K-Y; Srinivasan, T; Murthy, PKL; Tung, K-L; Varanko, AK; Chen, HJ; Ai, Y; King, S; Lipkin, SM; Shen, X, A miR-34a-Numb Feedforward Loop Triggered by Inflammation Regulates Asymmetric Stem Cell Division in Intestine and Colon Cancer., Cell Stem Cell, vol 18 no. 2 (2016), pp. 189-202 [10.1016/j.stem.2016.01.006] [abs].
- Chen, HJ; Sun, J; Huang, Z; Hou, H; Arcilla, M; Rakhilin, N; Joe, DJ; Choi, J; Gadamsetty, P; Milsom, J; Nandakumar, G; Longman, R; Zhou, XK; Edwards, R; Chen, J; Chen, KY; Bu, P; Wang, L; Xu, Y; Munroe, R; Abratte, C; Miller, AD; Gümüş, ZH; Shuler, M; Nishimura, N; Edelmann, W; Shen, X; Lipkin, SM, Comprehensive models of human primary and metastatic colorectal tumors in immunodeficient and immunocompetent mice by chemokine targeting., Nature Biotechnology, vol 33 no. 6 (2015), pp. 656-660 [10.1038/nbt.3239] [abs].
- Bu, P; Chen, K-Y; Chen, JH; Wang, L; Walters, J; Shin, YJ; Goerger, JP; Sun, J; Witherspoon, M; Rakhilin, N; Li, J; Yang, H; Milsom, J; Lee, S; Zipfel, W; Jin, MM; Gümüş, ZH; Lipkin, SM; Shen, X, A microRNA miR-34a-regulated bimodal switch targets Notch in colon cancer stem cells., Cell Stem Cell, vol 12 no. 5 (2013), pp. 602-615 [10.1016/j.stem.2013.03.002] [abs].