Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical EngineeringThe Shen lab uses systems biology to study spatiotemporal controls of multicellular systems, and how their subversion lead to diseases. Ongoing projects include colon cancer, normal and cancer stem cells, non-coding RNA, enteric nervious system, and tuberculosis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 2167 Ciemas, 101 Science Drive, Box 3382, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9184
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2008
- M.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
- B.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
Dr. Shen's research integrates systems biology and implantable devices to study non-coding RNA, colon cancer, stem cells, and the enteric nervous system. His multidisciplinary approach provides a new window for developing novel therapeutics against heterogeneous diseases such as cancer.
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
In the News
- A literal window into the second brain in our stomachs (Jun 23, 2016 | Newsweek )
- A literal window into the second brain in our stomachs (Jun 13, 2016 | Newsweek )
- Window in mouse shows its ‘gut feelings’ (Jun 8, 2016 | Gizmag )
- Real-time View of Enteric Nervous System Provides a Window to the Gut's Brain (Jun 7, 2016)
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer (Feb 4, 2016)
- Chen, HJ; Sun, J; Huang, Z; Hou, H; Arcilla, M; Rakhilin, N; Joe, DJ; Choi, J; Gadamsetty, P; Milsom, J; Nandakumar, G; Longman, R; Zhou, XK; Edwards, R; Chen, J; Chen, KY; Bu, P; Wang, L; Xu, Y; Munroe, R; Abratte, C; Miller, AD; Gümüş, ZH; Shuler, M; Nishimura, N; Edelmann, W; Shen, X; Lipkin, SM, Comprehensive models of human primary and metastatic colorectal tumors in immunodeficient and immunocompetent mice by chemokine targeting., Nature Biotechnology, vol 33 no. 6 (2015), pp. 656-660 [abs].
- Bu, P; Wang, L; Chen, KY; Rakhilin, N; Sun, J; Closa, A; Tung, KL; King, S; Kristine Varanko, A; Xu, Y; Huan Chen, J; Zessin, AS; Shealy, J; Cummings, B; Hsu, D; Lipkin, SM; Moreno, V; Gümüş, ZH; Shen, X, miR-1269 promotes metastasis and forms a positive feedback loop with TGF-β., Nature Communications, vol 6 (2015) [abs].
- Bu, P; Chen, KY; Chen, JH; Wang, L; Walters, J; Shin, YJ; Goerger, JP; Sun, J; Witherspoon, M; Rakhilin, N; Li, J; Yang, H; Milsom, J; Lee, S; Zipfel, W; Jin, MM; Gümüş, ZH; Lipkin, SM; Shen, X, A microRNA miR-34a-regulated bimodal switch targets Notch in colon cancer stem cells., Cell Stem Cell, vol 12 no. 5 (2013), pp. 602-615 [abs].
- Shen, X; Collier, J; Dill, D; Shapiro, L; Horowitz, M; McAdams, HH, Architecture and inherent robustness of a bacterial cell-cycle control system., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 105 no. 32 (2008), pp. 11340-11345 [abs].