Michael D. Lynch
Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Fellow in The Energy Initiative
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- M.D. University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2007
- Ph.D. University of Colorado - Boulder, 2005
Focused on genetically engineering microbes to shut off their growth circuits and turn on new pathways to produce different compounds—improving production of biofuels, pharmacological molecules and industrial chemicals.
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 590D: Special Topics with Discussion
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 703S: Engineering Management Seminar for Master of Science Students
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
In the News
- Duke Biomanufacturing Technology Licensed by Spinoff Company DMC (Jun 2, 2016)
- Michael Lynch: Bending Microbial Metabolisms to Generate New Chemicals (Nov 5, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hennigan, JN; Lynch, MD, The past, present, and future of enzyme-based therapies., Drug Discovery Today, vol 27 no. 1 (2022), pp. 117-133 [10.1016/j.drudis.2021.09.004] [abs].
- Menacho-Melgar, R; Hennigan, JN; Lynch, MD, Optimization of phosphate-limited autoinduction broth for two-stage heterologous protein expression in Escherichia coli., Biotechniques, vol 71 no. 5 (2021), pp. 566-572 [10.2144/btn-2021-0055] [abs].
- Ye, Z; Li, S; Hennigan, JN; Lebeau, J; Moreb, EA; Wolf, J; Lynch, MD, Two-stage dynamic deregulation of metabolism improves process robustness & scalability in engineered E. coli., Metabolic Engineering, vol 68 (2021), pp. 106-118 [10.1016/j.ymben.2021.09.009] [abs].
- Moreb, EA; Lynch, MD, Genome dependent Cas9/gRNA search time underlies sequence dependent gRNA activity., Nature Communications, vol 12 no. 1 (2021) [10.1038/s41467-021-25339-3] [abs].
- Rios, J; Lebeau, J; Yang, T; Li, S; Lynch, MD, A critical review on the progress and challenges to a more sustainable, cost competitive synthesis of adipic acid, Green Chem., vol 23 no. 9 (2021), pp. 3172-3190 [10.1039/d1gc00638j] [abs].