Michael D. Lynch
Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Faculty Fellow in The Energy Initiative
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- M.D. University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2007
- Ph.D. University of Colorado at Boulder, 2005
Dr. Lynch's research focuses on genetically engineering microbes to shut off their growth circuits and turn on new pathways to produce different compounds. By focusing their energy, he seeks to improve production of biofuels, pharmacological molecules and industrial chemicals.
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ISS 293: ISS Research Independent Study
- ISS 391: Bass Connections in Information Science and Culture: Independent Study Project
- ISS 795: Connections in Information, Society and Culture: Project
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Duke Biomanufacturing Technology Licensed by Spinoff Company DMC (Jun 2, 2016)
- Michael Lynch: Bending Microbial Metabolisms to Generate New Chemicals (Nov 5, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Taylor, S; Lynch, M; Terkildsen, M; Stevenson, G; Yates, A; Piro, N; de Araujo, J; Gray, R, Utility of fur as a biomarker for persistent organic pollutants in Australian fur seals (Arctocephalus pusillus doriferus)., The Science of the Total Environment, vol 610-611 (2018), pp. 1310-1320 [10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.08.204] [abs].
- Legione, AR; Amery-Gale, J; Lynch, M; Haynes, L; Gilkerson, JR; Sansom, FM; Devlin, JM, Variation in the microbiome of the urogenital tract of Chlamydia-free female koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus) with and without 'wet bottom'., Plos One, vol 13 no. 3 (2018) [10.1371/journal.pone.0194881] [abs].
- Heil, JR; Lynch, MDJ; Cheng, J; Matysiakiewicz, O; D'Alessio, M; Charles, TC, The Completed PacBio Single-Molecule Real-Time Sequence of Methylosinus trichosporium Strain OB3b Reveals the Presence of a Third Large Plasmid., Genome Announcements, vol 5 no. 49 (2017) [10.1128/genomea.01349-17] [abs].
- Moreb, EA; Hoover, B; Yaseen, A; Valyasevi, N; Roecker, Z; Menacho-Melgar, R; Lynch, MD, Managing the SOS Response for Enhanced CRISPR-Cas-Based Recombineering in E. coli through Transient Inhibition of Host RecA Activity., Acs Synthetic Biology, vol 6 no. 12 (2017), pp. 2209-2218 [10.1021/acssynbio.7b00174] [abs].
- Lynch, M; McGrath, K; Raj, K; McLaren, P; Payne, K; McCoy, R; Giger, U, HEREDITARY FACTOR VII DEFICIENCY IN THE ASIAN ELEPHANT (ELEPHAS MAXIMUS) CAUSED BY A F7 MISSENSE MUTATION., Journal of Wildlife Diseases, vol 53 no. 2 (2017), pp. 248-257 [10.7589/2016-05-113] [abs].