Michael D. Lynch
Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Fellow in The Energy Initiative
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- M.D. University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2007
- Ph.D. University of Colorado - Boulder, 2005
Focused on genetically engineering microbes to shut off their growth circuits and turn on new pathways to produce different compounds—improving production of biofuels, pharmacological molecules and industrial chemicals.
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 590D: Special Topics with Discussion
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 703S: Engineering Management Seminar for Master of Science Students
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
In the News
- Duke Biomanufacturing Technology Licensed by Spinoff Company DMC (Jun 2, 2016)
- Michael Lynch: Bending Microbial Metabolisms to Generate New Chemicals (Nov 5, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Yang, T; Ye, Z; Lynch, MD, "Multiagent" Screening Improves Directed Enzyme Evolution by Identifying Epistatic Mutations., Acs Synthetic Biology, vol 11 no. 5 (2022), pp. 1971-1983 [10.1021/acssynbio.2c00136] [abs].
- Decker, JS; Menacho-Melgar, R; Lynch, MD, Integrated autolysis, DNA hydrolysis and precipitation enables an improved bioprocess for Q-Griffithsin, a broad-spectrum antiviral and clinical-stage anti-COVID-19 candidate., Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol 181 (2022) [10.1016/j.bej.2022.108403] [abs].
- Moreb, EA; Lynch, MD, A Meta-Analysis of gRNA Library Screens Enables an Improved Understanding of the Impact of gRNA Folding and Structural Stability on CRISPR-Cas9 Activity., The Crispr Journal, vol 5 no. 1 (2022), pp. 146-154 [10.1089/crispr.2021.0084] [abs].
- Menacho-Melgar, R; Lynch, MD, Simple Scalable Protein Expression and Extraction Using Two-stage Autoinducible Cell Autolysis and DNA/RNA Autohydrolysis in Escherichia coli., Bio Protocol, vol 12 no. 2 (2022) [10.21769/bioprotoc.4297] [abs].
- Menacho-Melgar, R; Lynch, MD, Measuring Oligonucleotide Hydrolysis in Cellular Lysates via Viscosity Measurements., Bio Protocol, vol 12 no. 2 (2022) [10.21769/bioprotoc.4304] [abs].