Michael D. Lynch
Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Fellow in The Energy Initiative
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- M.D. University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2007
- Ph.D. University of Colorado - Boulder, 2005
Focused on genetically engineering microbes to shut off their growth circuits and turn on new pathways to produce different compounds—improving production of biofuels, pharmacological molecules and industrial chemicals.
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590D: Special Topics with Discussion
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 703S: Engineering Management Seminar for Master of Science Students
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- ISS 293: ISS Research Independent Study
In the News
- Duke Biomanufacturing Technology Licensed by Spinoff Company DMC (Jun 2, 2016)
- Michael Lynch: Bending Microbial Metabolisms to Generate New Chemicals (Nov 5, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Li, S; Ye, Z; Moreb, EA; Hennigan, JN; Castellanos, DB; Yang, T; Lynch, MD, Dynamic control over feedback regulatory mechanisms improves NADPH flux and xylitol biosynthesis in engineered E. coli., Metabolic Engineering, vol 64 (2021), pp. 26-40 [10.1016/j.ymben.2021.01.005] [abs].
- Ye, Z; Moreb, EA; Li, S; Lebeau, J; Menacho-Melgar, R; Munson, M; Lynch, MD, Escherichia coli Cas1/2 Endonuclease Complex Modifies Self-Targeting CRISPR/Cascade Spacers Reducing Silencing Guide Stability., Acs Synthetic Biology, vol 10 no. 1 (2021), pp. 29-37 [10.1021/acssynbio.0c00398] [abs].
- Moreb, EA; Hutmacher, M; Lynch, MD, CRISPR-Cas "Non-Target" Sites Inhibit On-Target Cutting Rates., The Crispr Journal, vol 3 no. 6 (2020), pp. 550-561 [10.1089/crispr.2020.0065] [abs].
- Efromson, J; Li, S; Lynch, M, BioSamplr: An open source, low cost automated sampling system for bioreactors (2020) [10.1101/2020.10.25.354183] [abs].
- Menacho-Melgar, R; Moreb, EA; Efromson, JP; Yang, T; Hennigan, JN; Wang, R; Lynch, MD, Improved two-stage protein expression and purification via autoinduction of both autolysis and auto DNA/RNA hydrolysis conferred by phage lysozyme and DNA/RNA endonuclease., Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol 117 no. 9 (2020), pp. 2852-2860 [10.1002/bit.27444] [abs].