Al-Hafeez Z Dhalla
Assist Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
My research centers on the application of optical technologies for non-invasive, high-resolution imaging of biological tissues. In particular, I focus on applications of optical coherence tomography (OCT) and scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (SLO) in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eye. My work focuses not only on the engineering and technical development of novel imaging technologies, but also the preparation of these technologies for commercialization through clinical validation and regulatory approval.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assist Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 101 Science Drive, Fciemas 2574A, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2012
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- Izatt, JA; Choma, MA; Dhalla, AH, Theory of optical coherence tomography (2015), pp. 65-94 [10.1007/978-3-319-06419-2_3] [abs].
- Nankivil, D; Dhalla, A-H; Gahm, N; Shia, K; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, Coherence revival multiplexed, buffered swept source optical coherence tomography: 400 kHz imaging with a 100 kHz source., Optics Letters, vol 39 no. 13 (2014), pp. 3740-3743 [10.1364/ol.39.003740] [abs].
- Liu, JJ; Witkin, AJ; Adhi, M; Grulkowski, I; Kraus, MF; Dhalla, A-H; Lu, CD; Hornegger, J; Duker, JS; Fujimoto, JG, Enhanced vitreous imaging in healthy eyes using swept source optical coherence tomography., Plos One, vol 9 no. 7 (2014) [10.1371/journal.pone.0102950] [abs].
- LaRocca, F; Dhalla, A-H; Kelly, MP; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, Optimization of confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscope design., Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol 18 no. 7 (2013) [10.1117/1.jbo.18.7.076015] [abs].
- Tokayer, J; Jia, Y; Dhalla, AH; Huang, D, Blood flow velocity quantification using splitspectrum amplitude-decorrelation angiography with optical coherence tomography, Biomedical Optics Express, vol 4 no. 10 (2013), pp. 1909-1924 [10.1364/BOE.4.001909] [abs].