Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
My research focuses on the application of optical technologies for non-invasive, high-resolution imaging of biological tissues. In particular, our laboratory develops optical coherence tomography (OCT), scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (SLO), light detection and ranging (LiDAR) and other optical imaging technologies for applications in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, particularly diseases of the eye. My work focuses not only on the engineering and technical development of novel imaging technologies, but also the preparation of these technologies for commercialization through clinical validation and regulatory approval.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 101 Science Drive, Fciemas 2574A, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2012
Research InterestsBiomedical optics, especially optical coherence tomography, scanning laser ophthalmoscopy and LiDAR, applied to the diagnostic imaging, image guided surgery and robotic microsurgery.
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- Li, Jianwei D., William Raynor, Al-Hafeez Dhalla, Christian Viehland, Robert Trout, Cynthia A. Toth, Lejla M. Vajzovic, and Joseph A. Izatt. “Quantitative measurements of intraocular structures and microinjection bleb volumes using intraoperative optical coherence tomography.” Biomed Opt Express 14, no. 1 (January 1, 2023): 352–66. https://doi.org/10.1364/BOE.483278.
- Zhang, J., R. Qian, K. C. Zhou, C. Viehland, M. Draelos, A. H. Dhalla, and J. A. Izatt. “Real-time wide-field spectral-scanning FMCW coherent 3D imaging and velocimetry.” Optics Letters 47, no. 16 (August 15, 2022): 4064–67. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.463965.
- Zhou, K. C., R. P. McNabb, R. Qian, S. Degan, A. H. Dhalla, S. Farsiu, and J. A. Izatt. “Computational 3D microscopy with optical coherence refraction tomography.” Optica 9, no. 6 (June 1, 2022): 593–601. https://doi.org/10.1364/OPTICA.454860.
- Qian, Ruobing, Kevin C. Zhou, Jingkai Zhang, Christian Viehland, Al-Hafeez Dhalla, and Joseph A. Izatt. “Video-rate high-precision time-frequency multiplexed 3D coherent ranging.” Nature Communications 13, no. 1 (March 2022): 1476. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-29177-9.
- Zhang, J., R. Qian, K. C. Zhou, C. Viehland, M. Draelos, A. H. Dhalla, and J. A. Izatt. “Real-time wide-FOV spectral-scanning FMCW 3D imaging and velocimetry.” In Optics Infobase Conference Papers, 2022.