Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 290L: Intermediate Topics with Lab (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
In the News
- A Crystal Ball for the Decade Ahead (Jan 9, 2020)
- Engineering a Better Bandage to Promote Faster Healing (Dec 13, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Big Ideas on a Small Chip Surface (Nov 1, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Researchers ID Pharmaceutical Target That Reverses Osteoporosis in Mice (Aug 22, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Zeng, Y; Shih, Y-RV; Baht, GS; Varghese, S, In Vivo Sequestration of Innate Small Molecules to Promote Bone Healing., Adv Mater, vol 32 no. 8 (2020) [10.1002/adma.201906022] [abs].
- Aung, A; Kumar, V; Theprungsirikul, J; Davey, SK; Varghese, S, An Engineered Tumor-on-a-Chip Device with Breast Cancer-Immune Cell Interactions for Assessing T-cell Recruitment., Cancer Res, vol 80 no. 2 (2020), pp. 263-275 [10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-19-0342] [abs].
- Moreno, AM; Fu, X; Zhu, J; Katrekar, D; Shih, YRV; Marlett, J; Cabotaje, J; Tat, J; Naughton, J; Lisowski, L; Varghese, S; Zhang, K; Mali, P, Erratum: In Situ Gene Therapy via AAV-CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Targeted Gene Regulation (Molecular Therapy (2018) 26(7) (1818–1827), (S1525001618301746), (10.1016/j.ymthe.2018.04.017)), Molecular Therapy (2020) [10.1016/j.ymthe.2020.06.027] [abs].
- Shih, Y-RV; Liu, M; Kwon, SK; Iida, M; Gong, Y; Sangaj, N; Varghese, S, Dysregulation of ectonucleotidase-mediated extracellular adenosine during postmenopausal bone loss., Science Advances, vol 5 no. 8 (2019) [10.1126/sciadv.aax1387] [abs].
- Zeng, Y; Hoque, J; Varghese, S, Biomaterial-assisted local and systemic delivery of bioactive agents for bone repair., Acta Biomater, vol 93 (2019), pp. 152-168 [10.1016/j.actbio.2019.01.060] [abs].