Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
In the News
- Researchers ID Pharmaceutical Target That Reverses Osteoporosis in Mice (Aug 22, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shih, Y-RV; Liu, M; Kwon, SK; Iida, M; Gong, Y; Sangaj, N; Varghese, S, Dysregulation of ectonucleotidase-mediated extracellular adenosine during postmenopausal bone loss., Science Advances, vol 5 no. 8 (2019) [10.1126/sciadv.aax1387] [abs].
- Zeng, Y; Hoque, J; Varghese, S, Biomaterial-assisted local and systemic delivery of bioactive agents for bone repair., Acta Biomater, vol 93 (2019), pp. 152-168 [10.1016/j.actbio.2019.01.060] [abs].
- Serrano, R; Aung, A; Yeh, Y-T; Varghese, S; Lasheras, JC; Del Álamo, JC, Three-Dimensional Monolayer Stress Microscopy., Biophysical Journal, vol 117 no. 1 (2019), pp. 111-128 [10.1016/j.bpj.2019.03.041] [abs].
- Shih, YV; Varghese, S, Tissue engineered bone mimetics to study bone disorders ex vivo: Role of bioinspired materials., Biomaterials, vol 198 (2019), pp. 107-121 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.06.005] [abs].
- Katrekar, D; Chen, G; Meluzzi, D; Ganesh, A; Worlikar, A; Shih, Y-R; Varghese, S; Mali, P, In vivo RNA editing of point mutations via RNA-guided adenosine deaminases., Nat Methods, vol 16 no. 3 (2019), pp. 239-242 [10.1038/s41592-019-0323-0] [abs].