Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 290L: Intermediate Topics with Lab (GE)
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Soft Robotic Dragonfly Signals Environmental Disruptions (Mar 25, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- A Crystal Ball for the Decade Ahead (Jan 9, 2020)
- Engineering a Better Bandage to Promote Faster Healing (Dec 13, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Big Ideas on a Small Chip Surface (Nov 1, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Researchers ID Pharmaceutical Target That Reverses Osteoporosis in Mice (Aug 22, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Gilpin, A; Zeng, Y; Hoque, J; Ryu, JH; Yang, Y; Zauscher, S; Eward, W; Varghese, S, Self-healing of Hyaluronic Acid to Improve in vivo Retention and Function., Adv Healthc Mater (2021) [10.1002/adhm.202100777] [abs].
- Andress, B; Kim, JH; Cutcliffe, HC; Amendola, A; Goode, AP; Varghese, S; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Meniscus cell regional phenotypes: Dedifferentiation and reversal by biomaterial embedding., J Orthop Res, vol 39 no. 10 (2021), pp. 2177-2186 [10.1002/jor.24954] [abs].
- Newman, H; Shih, YV; Varghese, S, Resolution of inflammation in bone regeneration: From understandings to therapeutic applications., Biomaterials, vol 277 (2021) [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2021.121114] [abs].
- Kumar, V; Ko, UH; Zhou, Y; Hoque, J; Arya, G; Varghese, S, Microengineered Materials with Self‐Healing Features for Soft Robotics, Advanced Intelligent Systems, vol 3 no. 7 (2021), pp. 2100005-2100005 [10.1002/aisy.202100005] [abs].
- Hoque, J; Shih, Y-RV; Zeng, Y; Newman, H; Sangaj, N; Arjunji, N; Varghese, S, Bone targeting nanocarrier-assisted delivery of adenosine to combat osteoporotic bone loss., Biomaterials, vol 273 (2021) [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2021.120819] [abs].