Ravi Venkat Bellamkonda
Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Ravi Bellamkonda is the Vinik Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University. Prior to becoming dean, Bellamkonda served as the Wallace H. Coulter Professor and chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University. He is committed to fostering transformative research and pedagogical innovation as well as programs that create an entrepreneurial mindset amongst faculty and students.
A trained bioengineer and neuroscientist, Bellamkonda holds an undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering. His graduate training at Brown University was in biomaterials and medical science (with Patrick Aebischer), and his post-doctoral training at Massachusetts Institute of Technology focused on the molecular mechanisms of axon guidance and neural development (with Jerry Schneider and Sonal Jhaveri). His current research explores the interplay of biomaterials and the nervous system for neural interfaces, nerve repair and brain tumor therapy.
From 2014 to 2016, Bellamkonda served as president of the American Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering (AIMBE), the leading policy and advocacy organization for biomedical engineers with representation from industry, academia and government. Bellamkonda’s numerous awards include the Clemson Award for Applied Research from the Society for Biomaterials, EUREKA award from National Cancer Institute (National Institutes of Health), CAREER award from the National Science Foundation and Best Professor Award from the Georgia Tech Biomedical Engineering student body.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Vinik Dean of Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Brown University, 1994
Engineered devices for brain tumor therapy; immunomodulation for peripheral and central nervous system repair; biomaterials; brain-machine interfaces.
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- NEUROSCI 496: Research Independent Study 4
In the News
- Seven From Duke Named Fellows of American Association for the Advancement of Science (Nov 26, 2019)
- An Immigrant's Story: How Three Decades in the U.S. Shaped Ravi Bellamkonda (Aug 23, 2019)
- Brain Tumor 'Pied Piper' Device Earns Breakthrough Status (Feb 6, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke Launches Marcus Center for Cellular Cures to Tackle Autism, MS, Stroke (May 9, 2018 | Duke School of Medicine)
- The Workplace of the Future (Aug 30, 2017)
- Duke Engineering Dean Discusses Confronting and Overcoming Biases (Mar 21, 2017)
- Engineering Dean on Immigration Policy and Attracting the Best Minds (Mar 20, 2017)
- Tumor-Seeking Salmonella Treats Brain Tumors (Jan 11, 2017)
- Falcone, JD; Sohal, HS; Kyriakides, TR; Bellamkonda, RV, The impact of modulating the blood-brain barrier on the electrophysiological and histological outcomes of intracortical electrodes., Journal of Neural Engineering, vol 16 no. 4 (2019) [10.1088/1741-2552/ab1ef9] [abs].
- Lyon, JG; Carroll, SL; Mokarram, N; Bellamkonda, RV, Electrotaxis of Glioblastoma and Medulloblastoma Spheroidal Aggregates., Scientific Reports, vol 9 no. 1 (2019) [10.1038/s41598-019-41505-6] [abs].
- Saxena, T; Lyon, JG; Pai, SB; Pare, D; Amero, J; Karumbaiah, L; Carroll, SL; Gaupp, E; Bellamkonda, RV, Engineering Controlled Peritumoral Inflammation to Constrain Brain Tumor Growth., Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol 8 no. 4 (2019) [10.1002/adhm.201801076] [abs].
- Krucoff, MO; Miller, JP; Saxena, T; Bellamkonda, R; Rahimpour, S; Harward, SC; Lad, SP; Turner, DA, Toward Functional Restoration of the Central Nervous System: A Review of Translational Neuroscience Principles., Neurosurgery, vol 84 no. 1 (2019), pp. 30-40 [10.1093/neuros/nyy128] [abs].
- Loomis, KH; Lindsay, KE; Zurla, C; Bhosle, SM; Vanover, DA; Blanchard, EL; Kirschman, JL; Bellamkonda, RV; Santangelo, PJ, In Vitro Transcribed mRNA Vaccines with Programmable Stimulation of Innate Immunity., Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol 29 no. 9 (2018), pp. 3072-3083 [10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.8b00443] [abs].