Ravi Venkat Bellamkonda
Professor in the Department of Biomedical EngineeringRavi Bellamkonda is the Vinik Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University. Prior to becoming dean, Bellamkonda served as the Wallace H. Coulter Professor and chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University. He is committed to fostering transformative research and pedagogical innovation as well as programs that create an entrepreneurial mindset amongst faculty and students.
A trained bioengineer and neuroscientist, Bellamkonda holds an undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering. His graduate training at Brown University was in biomaterials and medical science (with Patrick Aebischer), and his post-doctoral training at Massachusetts Institute of Technology focused on the molecular mechanisms of axon guidance and neural development (with Jerry Schneider and Sonal Jhaveri). His current research explores the interplay of biomaterials and the nervous system for neural interfaces, nerve repair and brain tumor therapy.
From 2014 to 2016, Bellamkonda served as president of the American Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering (AIMBE), the leading policy and advocacy organization for biomedical engineers with representation from industry, academia and government. Bellamkonda’s numerous awards include the Clemson Award for Applied Research from the Society for Biomaterials, EUREKA award from National Cancer Institute (National Institutes of Health), CAREER award from the National Science Foundation and Best Professor Award from the Georgia Tech Biomedical Engineering student body.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Vinik Dean of Engineering
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Brown University, 1994
Engineered devices for brain tumor therapy; immunomodulation for peripheral and central nervous system repair; biomaterials; brain-machine interfaces.
- Gollnick, CA; Millard, DC; Ortiz, AD; Bellamkonda, RV; Stanley, GB, Response reliability observed with voltage-sensitive dye imaging of cortical layer 2/3: the probability of activation hypothesis., Journal of neurophysiology, vol 115 no. 5 (2016), pp. 2456-2469 [10.1152/jn.00547.2015] [abs].
- Srinivasan, A; Tipton, J; Tahilramani, M; Kharbouch, A; Gaupp, E; Song, C; Venkataraman, P; Falcone, J; Lacour, SP; Stanley, GB; English, AW; Bellamkonda, RV, A regenerative microchannel device for recording multiple single-unit action potentials in awake, ambulatory animals., European Journal of Neuroscience, vol 43 no. 3 (2016), pp. 474-485 [10.1111/ejn.13080] [abs].
- Loomis, KH; Kirschman, JL; Bhosle, S; Bellamkonda, RV; Santangelo, PJ, Strategies for modulating innate immune activation and protein production of in vitro transcribed mRNAs, Journal of Materials Chemistry. B, vol 4 no. 9 (2016), pp. 1619-1632 [10.1039/C5TB01753J] [abs].
- Saxena, T; Bellamkonda, RV, Implantable electronics: A sensor web for neurons., Nature Materials, vol 14 no. 12 (2015), pp. 1190-1191 [10.1038/nmat4454] [abs].
- Karumbaiah, L; Enam, SF; Brown, AC; Saxena, T; Betancur, MI; Barker, TH; Bellamkonda, RV, Chondroitin Sulfate Glycosaminoglycan Hydrogels Create Endogenous Niches for Neural Stem Cells., Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol 26 no. 12 (2015), pp. 2336-2349 [10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.5b00397] [abs].