Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Leslie M. Collins earned the BSEE degree from the University of Kentucky, and the MSEE, and PhD degrees from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. From 1986 through 1990 she was a Senior Engineer at Westinghouse Research and Development Center in Pittsburgh, PA. She joined Duke in 1995 as an Assistant Professor and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2002 and to Professor in 2007. Her research interests include physics-based statistical signal processing, subsurface sensing, auditory prostheses and pattern recognition. She is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi, and Eta Kappa Nu honor societies. Dr. Collins has been a member of the team formed to transition MURI-developed algorithms and hardware to the Army HSTAMIDS and GSTAMIDS landmine detection systems. She has been the principal investigator on research projects from ARO, NVESD, SERDP, ESTCP, NSF, and NIH. Dr. Collins was the PI on the DoD UXO Cleanup Project of the Year in 2000. As of 2015, Dr. Collins has graduated 15 PhD students.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 3461 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5260
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.S.E. University of Kentucky, 1985
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1986
- Ph.D. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1995
Research InterestsPhysics-based machine learning algorithms for big data, including developing remediation strategies for the hearing impaired and sensor-based algorithms for the detection of hazardous buried objects
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- ECE 280L9: Signals and Systems - Lab
- ECE 280L: Introduction to Signals and Systems
- ECE 292: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Listening to Broken Hearts, Saving Lives (Sep 21, 2018 | Pratt School of Engine…
- Smart Meters: Duke Engineers Seek Energy Insights by Reading a Building's Elect…
- Pratt Researchers Are Using Deep Learning to Distinguish Solar Panels from Swim…
- Shahidi, Lidea K., Leslie M. Collins, and Boyla O. Mainsah. “Parameter tuning of time-frequency masking algorithms for reverberant artifact removal within the cochlear implant stimulus.” Cochlear Implants International 23, no. 6 (November 2022): 309–16. https://doi.org/10.1080/14670100.2022.2096182.
- Huang, B., J. Yang, A. Streltsov, K. Bradbury, L. M. Collins, and J. M. Malof. “GridTracer: Automatic Mapping of Power Grids Using Deep Learning and Overhead Imagery.” Ieee Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 15 (January 1, 2022): 4956–70. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2021.3124519.
- Chen, X. J., L. M. Collins, and B. O. Mainsah. “Language Model-Guided Classifier Adaptation for Brain-Computer Interfaces for Communication.” In Conference Proceedings Ieee International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2022-October:1642–47, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/SMC53654.2022.9945561.
- Chen, Xinlin J., Leslie M. Collins, and Boyla O. Mainsah. “Mitigating the Impact of Psychophysical Effects During Adaptive Stimulus Selection in the P300 Speller Brain-Computer Interface.” In Annual International Conference of the Ieee Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Ieee Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual International Conference, 2021:5796–99, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1109/embc46164.2021.9630048.
- Chen, Xinlin J., Emma T. LaPorte, Cameron Olsen, Leslie M. Collins, Priyesh Patel, Ravi Karra, and Boyla O. Mainsah. “Heart Sound Analysis in Individuals Supported With Left Ventricular Assist Devices.” Ieee Trans Biomed Eng 68, no. 10 (October 2021): 3009–18. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2021.3060718.