Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
My research lies at the intersection of surface and colloid science, polymer materials engineering, and biointerface science, with four central areas of focus: 1. Fabrication, manipulation and characterization of stimulus-responsive biomolecular and bio-inspired polymeric nanostructures on surfaces; 2. Nanotechnology of soft-wet materials and hybrid biological/non-biological microdevices; 3. Receptor-ligand interactions relevant to the diagnostics of infectious diseases; 4. Friction of soft-wet materials, specifically the role of glycoproteins on friction in diarthroidal joints. These four broad lines of inquiry deal with fundamental behaviors of soft-wet materials on surfaces and interfaces. The design and fabrication of these interfaces using "smart" polymeric and biomolecular nanostructures, and the characterization of the resulting structures, are critically important for the development of biomolecular sensors and devices and for bioinspired materials. Key approaches and tools I use in my research are: bottom-up organization on the molecular scale, through self-assembly, in-situ polymerization, and manipulation of intermolecular interactions; topdown fabrication, through scanning probe nanolithography; stimulus-responsive polymers; molecular recognition; and new approaches to sensing and manipulation. This research supports Duke's Pratt School of Engineering strategic initiative to expand research in soft-wet Materials Science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Director of the Duke Materials Initiative
- Associate Chair in Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Bass Fellow
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 3385 Fciemas Building, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5360
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.S. Oregon State University, 1992
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1999
Research InterestsNano-mechanical and nano-tribological characterization (elasticity, friction, adhesion) of materials including organic thin films; self-assembled monolayers, polymeric gels, and cellulosics; Fabrication of polymeric nanostructures by scanning probe lithography; Colloidal probe and atomic force microscopy; Single molecule force spectroscopy applied to ligand-receptor binding; Biomolecular nano- and micro-sensors
- BME 529: Properties and Characterization of Polymeric Materials
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 514: Properties and Characterization of Polymeric Materials
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- MSEG 591: Independent Study
In the News
- QATCH (Feb 1, 2021 | Duke Engineering Entrepreneurship)
- Pushing Science and Engineering to Create New Soft Materials (Sep 7, 2017 | Duk…
- Oddball Enzyme Provides Easy Path to Synthetic Biomaterials (May 16, 2017 | Duk…
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014 |…
- Simon, Miriam, Albert Prause, Stefan Zauscher, and Michael Gradzielski. “Self-Assembled Single-Stranded DNA Nano-Networks in Solution and at Surfaces.” Biomacromolecules 23, no. 3 (March 2022): 1242–50. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.biomac.1c01493.
- Gilpin, Anna, Yuze Zeng, Jiaul Hoque, Ji Hyun Ryu, Yong Yang, Stefan Zauscher, William Eward, and Shyni Varghese. “Self-Healing of Hyaluronic Acid to Improve In Vivo Retention and Function.” Adv Healthc Mater 10, no. 23 (December 2021): e2100777. https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.202100777.
- Yang, Yunqi, Qinyi Lu, Chao‐Min Huang, Hongji Qian, Yunlong Zhang, Sonal Deshpande, Gaurav Arya, Yonggang Ke, and Stefan Zauscher. “Programmable Site‐Specific Functionalization of DNA Origami with Polynucleotide Brushes.” Angewandte Chemie 133, no. 43 (October 18, 2021): 23429–35. https://doi.org/10.1002/ange.202107829.
- Yang, Yunqi, Qinyi Lu, Chao-Min Huang, Hongji Qian, Yunlong Zhang, Sonal Deshpande, Gaurav Arya, Yonggang Ke, and Stefan Zauscher. “Programmable Site-Specific Functionalization of DNA Origami with Polynucleotide Brushes.” Angewandte Chemie (International Ed. in English) 60, no. 43 (October 2021): 23241–47. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.202107829.
- Navarro, Luis A., Justin J. Ryan, Michael Dzuricky, Michael Gradzielski, Ashutosh Chilkoti, and Stefan Zauscher. “Microphase Separation of Resilin-like and Elastin-like Diblock Copolypeptides in Concentrated Solutions.” Biomacromolecules 22, no. 9 (September 2021): 3827–38. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.biomac.1c00672.