Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
We study the development and function of cortical circuits underlying motor control and cognitive processing. Our research program integrates multi-faceted approaches from genetic engineering to single-cell genomics, developmental neurobiology, imaging, electrophysiology, and behavioral analyses, and aims to link fundamental neuroscience to the understanding and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
- Professor of Neurobiology
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Cell Biology
- Office Location: 311 Research Drive, Box 3209, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 613-1573
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Brandeis University, 1995
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
In the News
- New RNA-Based Tool Can Illuminate Brain Circuits, Edit Specific Cells (Oct 5, 2…
- University Awards 24 New Distinguished Professorships (May 18, 2022)
- Four Faculty Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences (Apr 28, 2022)
- Duke Neuroscientist Co-Leads Massive Effort to Map Brain (Oct 6, 2021)
- Qian, Yongjun, Jiayun Li, Shengli Zhao, Elizabeth A. Matthews, Michael Adoff, Weixin Zhong, Xu An, et al. “Programmable RNA sensing for cell monitoring and manipulation.” Nature 610, no. 7933 (October 2022): 713–21. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-022-05280-1.
- Huilgol, Dhananjay, Jesse Levine, William Galbavy, Bor-Shuen Wang, Miao He, Shreyas Suryanarayana, and Josh Huang. “Direct and indirect neurogenesis generate a mosaic of distinct glutamatergic projection neuron types and cortical subnetworks.” BioRxiv, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.03.13.484161.
- Mohan, Hemanth, Xu An, Hideki Kondo, Shengli Zhao, Katherine Matho, Simon Musall, Partha Mitra, and Josh Huang. “Cortical glutamatergic projection neuron types contribute to distinct functional subnetworks.” Research Square, 2022. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-1337382/v1.
- Deng, Hanfei, Xiong Xiao, Tao Yang, Kimberly Ritola, Adam Hantman, Yulong Li, Z Josh Huang, and Bo Li. “A genetically defined insula-brainstem circuit selectively controls motivational vigor.” Cell 184, no. 26 (December 22, 2021): 6344-6360.e18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2021.11.019.
- Dudok, Barna, Miklos Szoboszlay, Anirban Paul, Peter M. Klein, Zhenrui Liao, Ernie Hwaun, Gergely G. Szabo, et al. “Recruitment and inhibitory action of hippocampal axo-axonic cells during behavior.” Neuron 109, no. 23 (December 1, 2021): 3838-3850.e8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2021.09.033.