Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
We study the development and function of cortical circuits underlying motor control and cognitive processing. Our research program integrates multi-faceted approaches from genetic engineering to single-cell genomics, developmental neurobiology, imaging, electrophysiology, and behavioral analyses, and aims to link fundamental neuroscience to the understanding and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
- Professor of Neurobiology
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Cell Biology
- Office Location: 311 Research Drive, Box 3209, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 613-1573
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Brandeis University, 1995
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- CMB 710E: Cell & Molecular Biology Module V
- CMB 710F: Cell & Molecular Biology Module VI
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
In the News
- New RNA-Based Tool Can Illuminate Brain Circuits, Edit Specific Cells (Oct 5, 2…
- University Awards 24 New Distinguished Professorships (May 18, 2022)
- Four Faculty Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences (Apr 28, 2022)
- Duke Neuroscientist Co-Leads Massive Effort to Map Brain (Oct 6, 2021)
- Huilgol, Dhananjay, Jesse M. Levine, William Galbavy, Bor-Shuen Wang, Miao He, Shreyas M. Suryanarayana, and Z Josh Huang. “Direct and indirect neurogenesis generate a mosaic of distinct glutamatergic projection neuron types in cerebral cortex.” Neuron 111, no. 16 (August 16, 2023): 2557-2569.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2023.05.021.
- Huilgol, Dhananjay, Jeffrey B. Russ, Sweta Srivas, and Z Josh Huang. “The progenitor basis of cortical projection neuron diversity.” Curr Opin Neurobiol 81 (August 2023): 102726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conb.2023.102726.
- Yao, Mei, Ayizuohere Tudi, Tao Jiang, Xu An, Qingtao Sun, Anan Li, Z Josh Huang, Hui Gong, and Xiangning Li. “Long-range connectome of pyramidal neurons in the sensorimotor cortex.” Iscience 26, no. 4 (April 21, 2023): 106316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2023.106316.
- Liu, Hao, René N. Caballero-Florán, Ty Hergenreder, Tao Yang, Jacob M. Hull, Geng Pan, Ruonan Li, et al. “DSCAM gene triplication causes excessive GABAergic synapses in the neocortex in Down syndrome mouse models.” Plos Biol 21, no. 4 (April 2023): e3002078. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3002078.
- Mohan, Hemanth, Xu An, X Hermione Xu, Hideki Kondo, Shengli Zhao, Katherine S. Matho, Bor-Shuen Wang, Simon Musall, Partha Mitra, and Z Josh Huang. “Cortical glutamatergic projection neuron types contribute to distinct functional subnetworks.” Nat Neurosci 26, no. 3 (March 2023): 481–94. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41593-022-01244-w.