William Paul Segars
Associate Professor in Radiology
These tools have a wide variety of applications in many different imaging modalities to investigate the effects of anatomical, physiological, physical, and instrumentational factors on medical imaging and to research new image acquisition strategies, image processing and reconstruction methods, and image visualization and interpretation techniques. We are currently applying them to the field of x-ray CT. The motivation for this work is the lack of sufficiently rigorous methods for optimizing the image quality and radiation dose in x-ray CT to the clinical needs of a given procedure. The danger of unnecessary radiation exposure from CT applications, especially for pediatrics, is just now being addressed. Optimization is essential in order for new and emerging CT applications to be truly useful and not represent a danger to the patient. Given the relatively high radiation doses required of current CT systems, thorough optimization is unlikely to ever be done in live patients. It would be prohibitively expensive to fabricate physical phantoms to simulate a realistic range of patient sizes and clinical needs especially when physiologic motion needs to be considered. The only practical approach to the optimization problem is through the use of realistic computer simulation tools developed in our work.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in Radiology
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: Hock Plaza Suite 302, 2424 Erwin Road, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1473
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001
Computer-generated phantoms and simulation techniques to investigate and optimize medical imaging systems and methods; development of computational models of patients and imaging devices.
- Hsu, CML; Palmeri, ML; Segars, WP; Veress, AI; Dobbins, JT, Generation of a suite of 3D computer-generated breast phantoms from a limited set of human subject data., vol 40 no. 4 (2013) [10.1118/1.4794924] [abs].
- Segars, WP; Bond, J; Frush, J; Hon, S; Eckersley, C; Williams, CH; Feng, J; Tward, DJ; Ratnanather, JT; Miller, MI; Frush, D; Samei, E, Population of anatomically variable 4D XCAT adult phantoms for imaging research and optimization., vol 40 no. 4 (2013) [10.1118/1.4794178] [abs].
- Gonzales, MJ; Sturgeon, G; Krishnamurthy, A; Hake, J; Jonas, R; Stark, P; Rappel, W-J; Narayan, SM; Zhang, Y; Segars, WP; McCulloch, AD, A three-dimensional finite element model of human atrial anatomy: New methods for cubic Hermite meshes with extraordinary vertices, Medical Image Analysis, vol 17 no. 5 (2013), pp. 525-537 [10.1016/j.media.2013.03.005] [abs].
- Li, X; Samei, E; Williams, CH; Segars, WP; Tward, DJ; Miller, MI; Ratnanather, JT; Paulson, EK; Frush, DP, Effects of protocol and obesity on dose conversion factors in adult body CT., Medical physics, vol 39 no. 11 (2012), pp. 6550-6571 [10.1118/1.4754584] [abs].
- Zhang, Y; Li, X; Segars, WP; Samei, E, Organ doses, effective doses, and risk indices in adult CT: comparison of four types of reference phantoms across different examination protocols., Medical physics, vol 39 no. 6 (2012), pp. 3404-3423 [10.1118/1.4718710] [abs].
- Hsu, CML; Palmeri, ML; Segars, WP; Veress, AI; Dobbins, JT, An analysis of the mechanical parameters used for finite element compression of a high-resolution 3D breast phantom., Medical physics, vol 38 no. 10 (2011), pp. 5756-5770 [10.1118/1.3637500] [abs].
- Veress, AI; Segars, WP; Tsui, BMW; Gullberg, GT, Incorporation of a left ventricle finite element model defining infarction into the XCAT imaging phantom., IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 30 no. 4 (2011), pp. 915-927 [10.1109/TMI.2010.2089801] [abs].
- Li, X; Samei, E; Segars, WP; Sturgeon, GM; Colsher, JG; Toncheva, G; Yoshizumi, TT; Frush, DP, Patient-specific radiation dose and cancer risk estimation in CT: part II. Application to patients., Medical physics, vol 38 no. 1 (2011), pp. 408-419 [10.1118/1.3515864] [abs].
- Li, X; Samei, E; Segars, WP; Sturgeon, GM; Colsher, JG; Toncheva, G; Yoshizumi, TT; Frush, DP, Patient-specific radiation dose and cancer risk estimation in CT: part I. development and validation of a Monte Carlo program., Medical physics, vol 38 no. 1 (2011), pp. 397-407 [10.1118/1.3515839] [abs].
- Tward, DJ; Ceritoglu, C; Kolasny, A; Sturgeon, GM; Segars, WP; Miller, MI; Ratnanather, JT, Patient Specific Dosimetry Phantoms Using Multichannel LDDMM of the Whole Body., International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol 2011 (2011) [10.1155/2011/481064] [abs].
- Segars, WP; Sturgeon, G; Mendonca, S; Grimes, J; Tsui, BMW, 4D XCAT phantom for multimodality imaging research., Medical physics, vol 37 no. 9 (2010), pp. 4902-4915 [10.1118/1.3480985] [abs].