Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Research Professor in Neurobiology
- Assistant Professor in Pathology
- Assistant Professor in Neurology
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: DUMC 3807, 1542 Blue Zone Duke South, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 660-3928
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of California - San Francisco, 2018
- Stanford University, School of Medicine, 2013
- M.D. University of California - San Francisco, 2011
- Ph.D. University of California - San Francisco, 2009
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Translating Duke Health Scholar. Duke University. 2018
- Whitehead Scholar. Duke University. 2018
- Eli and Edyth Broad Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Fellowship . University of California, San Francisco. 2016
- Rosegay Award. San Francisco Neurological Society. 2016
- Integra Foundation Award. Congress of Neurological Surgeons. 2014
- Academy Award. American Academy of Neurological Surgeons. 2012
- Stem Cell Scholar. California Institute for Regenerative Medicine. 2006
- Phi Beta Kappa. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 2001
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship. Howard Hughes Medical Institute. 1999
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
- Ali, MB; Gu, IYH; Berger, MS; Pallud, J; Southwell, D; Widhalm, G; Roux, A; Vecchio, TG; Jakola, AS, Domain mapping and deep learning from multiple mri clinical datasets for prediction of molecular subtypes in low grade gliomas, Brain Sciences, vol 10 no. 7 (2020), pp. 1-20 [10.3390/brainsci10070463] [abs].
- Rutkowski, MJ; Southwell, DG; Cardinal, TM; Blevins, LS, Acromegaly due to McCune-Albright syndrome, Us Endocrinology, vol 16 no. 1 (2020), pp. 47-50 [10.17925/use.2020.16.1.47] [abs].
- Harward, SC; Southwell, DG, Interneuron transplantation: a prospective surgical therapy for medically refractory epilepsy., Neurosurgical Focus, vol 48 no. 4 (2020) [10.3171/2020.2.FOCUS19955] [abs].
- Southwell, DG; Seifikar, H; Malik, R; Lavi, K; Vogt, D; Rubenstein, JL; Sohal, VS, Interneuron Transplantation Rescues Social Behavior Deficits without Restoring Wild-Type Physiology in a Mouse Model of Autism with Excessive Synaptic Inhibition., Journal of Neuroscience, vol 40 no. 11 (2020), pp. 2215-2227 [10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1063-19.2019] [abs].
- Breshears, JD; Southwell, DG; Chang, EF, Inhibition of Manual Movements at Speech Arrest Sites in the Posterior Inferior Frontal Lobe., Neurosurgery, vol 85 no. 3 (2019), pp. E496-E501 [10.1093/neuros/nyy592] [abs].