Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Assistant Research Professor in Neurobiology
- Assistant Professor in Pathology
- Assistant Professor in Neurology
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Office Location: DUMC 3807, 1542 Blue Zone Duke South, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 660-3928
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of California - San Francisco, 2018
- Stanford University, School of Medicine, 2013
- M.D. University of California - San Francisco, 2011
- Ph.D. University of California - San Francisco, 2009
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Translating Duke Health Scholar. Duke University. 2018
- Whitehead Scholar. Duke University. 2018
- Eli and Edyth Broad Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Fellowship . University of California, San Francisco. 2016
- Rosegay Award. San Francisco Neurological Society. 2016
- Integra Foundation Award. Congress of Neurological Surgeons. 2014
- Academy Award. American Academy of Neurological Surgeons. 2012
- Stem Cell Scholar. California Institute for Regenerative Medicine. 2006
- Phi Beta Kappa. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 2001
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship. Howard Hughes Medical Institute. 1999
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
- Chiang, C-H; Wang, C; Barth, K; Rahimpour, S; Trumpis, M; Duraivel, S; Rachinskiy, I; Dubey, A; Wingel, KE; Wong, M; Witham, NS; Odell, T; Woods, V; Bent, B; Doyle, W; Friedman, D; Bihler, E; Reiche, CF; Southwell, DG; Haglund, MM; Friedman, AH; Lad, SP; Devore, S; Devinsky, O; Solzbacher, F; Pesaran, B; Cogan, G; Viventi, J, Flexible, high-resolution thin-film electrodes for human and animal neural research., J Neural Eng, vol 18 no. 4 (2021) [10.1088/1741-2552/ac02dc] [abs].
- Ali, MB; Gu, IY-H; Berger, MS; Pallud, J; Southwell, D; Widhalm, G; Roux, A; Vecchio, TG; Jakola, AS, Domain Mapping and Deep Learning from Multiple MRI Clinical Datasets for Prediction of Molecular Subtypes in Low Grade Gliomas., Brain Sciences, vol 10 no. 7 (2020) [10.3390/brainsci10070463] [abs].
- Rutkowski, MJ; Southwell, DG; Cardinal, TM; Blevins, LS, Acromegaly due to McCune-Albright syndrome, Us Endocrinology, vol 16 no. 1 (2020), pp. 47-50 [10.17925/use.2020.16.1.47] [abs].
- Harward, SC; Southwell, DG, Interneuron transplantation: a prospective surgical therapy for medically refractory epilepsy., Neurosurgical Focus, vol 48 no. 4 (2020) [10.3171/2020.2.FOCUS19955] [abs].
- Southwell, DG; Seifikar, H; Malik, R; Lavi, K; Vogt, D; Rubenstein, JL; Sohal, VS, Interneuron Transplantation Rescues Social Behavior Deficits without Restoring Wild-Type Physiology in a Mouse Model of Autism with Excessive Synaptic Inhibition., Journal of Neuroscience, vol 40 no. 11 (2020), pp. 2215-2227 [10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1063-19.2019] [abs].