Morton H Friedman
Professor Emeritus of Biomedical Engineering
Fluid and wall mechanical factors in atherosclerosis, cineangiographic and vascular ultrasound image processing, relation between arterial geometry and disease risk
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor Emeritus of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 1427 Fciemas, Box 90281, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5131
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1961
- M.S. Ch.E. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1958
- B.S.CH.E. Cornell University, 1957
Dr. Friedman's research interests focus on the role of mechanical forces in the localization and evolution of vascular disease, particularly atherosclerosis. Specific areas of research are the influence of adaptation on vascular biology and physiology, the influence of shear stress gradients and harmonic content on the vascular endothelium, and the influence of coronary artery geometry and dynamics on plaque formation and rupture.
- Ateshian, GA; Friedman, MH, Integrative biomechanics: a paradigm for clinical applications of fundamental mechanics., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 42 no. 10 (2009), pp. 1444-1451 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2009.04.001] [abs].
- Zhu, H; Ding, Z; Piana, RN; Gehrig, TR; Friedman, MH, Cataloguing the geometry of the human coronary arteries: a potential tool for predicting risk of coronary artery disease., Int J Cardiol, vol 135 no. 1 (2009), pp. 43-52 [10.1016/j.ijcard.2008.03.087] [abs].
- Friedman, MH, Variability of arterial wall shear stress, its dependence on vessel diameter and implications for Murray's Law, Atherosclerosis, vol 204 no. 1 (2009), pp. 18-19 [10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2009.04.007] [abs].
- Friedman, MH, Variability of arterial wall shear stress, its dependence on vessel diameter and implications for Murray's Law., Atherosclerosis, vol 203 no. 1 (2009), pp. 47-48 [10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.07.003] [abs].
- Liang, Y; Zhu, H; Friedman, MH, Estimation of the transverse strain tensor in the arterial wall using IVUS image registration., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 34 no. 11 (2008), pp. 1832-1845 [10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2008.04.005] [abs].