Kevin M Caves
Clinical Associate in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
Technology and Design for People with Disabilities
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
Appointments and Affiliations
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Medicine
- Office Location: 170 Baker House, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-3540
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, 1989
- M.E. Duke University, 2003
- B.S.M.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1987
Kevin Caves researches technologies for people with disabilities. Recent projects include the development of brain computer interface (BCI) technologies, the use of sensors to assist older people and individuals with disabilities live more independently and safely at home, and telerehabilitation techniques to improve delivery of assistive technology services.
- BME 460L: Devices for People with Disabilities (DR)
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication
- EGR 190: Special Topics in Engineering
In the News
- Duke research is helping ALS patients communicate (Oct 8, 2013 | UNC-TV’s “North Carolina Now")
- Allen, KD; Woolson, S; Hoenig, HM; Bongiorni, D; Byrd, J; Caves, K; Hall, KS; Heiderscheit, B; Hodges, NJ; Huffman, KM; Morey, MC; Ramasunder, S; Severson, H; Van Houtven, C; Abbate, LM; Coffman, CJ, Stepped Exercise Program for Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis : A Randomized Controlled Trial., Ann Intern Med, vol 174 no. 3 (2021), pp. 298-307 [10.7326/M20-4447] [abs].
- Jarvis, LM; Peterson, MJ; Caves, KM, Development, Validity, and Reliability of a Novel Walking Speed Measurement Device: the GaitBox., Gait & Posture, vol 84 (2021), pp. 52-57 [10.1016/j.gaitpost.2020.11.009] [abs].
- Jarvis, L; Moninger, S; Pavon, J; Throckmorton, C; Caves, K, Accelerometer-Based Machine Learning Categorization of Body Position in Adult Populations., Comput Help People Spec Needs, vol 12377 (2020), pp. 242-249 [10.1007/978-3-030-58805-2_29] [abs].
- Venkataraman, K; Amis, K; Landerman, LR; Caves, K; Koh, GC; Hoenig, H, Teleassessment of Gait and Gait Aids: Validity and Interrater Reliability., Phys Ther, vol 100 no. 4 (2020), pp. 708-717 [10.1093/ptj/pzaa005] [abs].
- Allen, KD; Bongiorni, D; Caves, K; Coffman, CJ; Floegel, TA; Greysen, HM; Hall, KS; Heiderscheit, B; Hoenig, HM; Huffman, KM; Morey, MC; Ramasunder, S; Severson, H; Smith, B; Van Houtven, C; Woolson, S, STepped exercise program for patients with knee OsteoArthritis (STEP-KOA): protocol for a randomized controlled trial., Bmc Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol 20 no. 1 (2019) [10.1186/s12891-019-2627-8] [abs].