Martin P Tornai
Associate Professor of Radiology
Two classes of devices have been developed, are in refinement and are undergoing patient studies: (1) a dedicated, fully 3D, volumetric imaging Single Photon Emission Computed Tomograph (SPECT) device which produces functional molecular images with high resolution and sensitivity; and (2) a dedicated, fully 3D, volumetric x-ray CT device which incorporates a novel quasi-monochromatic x-ray source allowing more optimal imaging with lower radiation doses which produces molecular anatomical images. Along with geometric calibration objects, small animals and cadaveric breast tissue samples have been scanned, yielding high resolution and high quality in vivo images. Patient imaging has successfully begun on these novel developed systems. We have integrated a flexible patient bed to help comfortably position patients in each systems' field of view. Further, the individual systems have been integrated to form a hybrid SPECT/CT mammotomograph providing inherently coregistered, fully 3D, complementary molecular/anatomical information for the same patient and in a common field of view. These technologies could be used for diagnostic purposes, monitoring therapy and/or treatment planning, screening difficult or otherwise inconclusive breasts or scanning women at high risk for breast cancer. Due to the very low x-ray radiation doses possible to obtain the 3D images, the CT system could potentially be used to screen the population at large.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Radiology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: Circuit Drive, Research Park Bldg, Rm 118, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-7940
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of California at Los Angeles, 1997
- Ph.D. University of California at Los Angeles, 1997
- B.S. Cornell University, 1989
- MEDPHY 744: PET and SPECT Image Reconstruction and Analysis
- MEDPHY 745: Advanced Topics in Nuclear Medicine
- MEDPHY 751-4: Frontiers of Biomedical Science
- MEDPHY 770: Frontiers of Biomedical Science
- Crotty, DJ; McKinley, RL; Tornai, MP, Experimental spectral measurements of heavy K-edge filtered beams for x-ray computed mammotomography., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 52 no. 3 (2007), pp. 603-616 [10.1088/0031-9155/52/3/005] [abs].
- Brzymialkiewicz, CN; Tornai, MP; McKinley, RL; Cutler, SJ; Bowsher, JE, Performance of dedicated emission mammotomography for various breast shapes and sizes., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 51 no. 19 (2006), pp. 5051-5064 [10.1088/0031-9155/51/19/021] [abs].
- Brzymialkiewicz, CN; Tornai, MP; McKinley, RL; Bowsher, JE, Evaluation of fully 3-D emission mammotomography with a compact cadmium zinc telluride detector., IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 24 no. 7 (2005), pp. 868-877 [abs].
- Samei, E; Dobbins, JT; Lo, JY; Tornai, MP, A framework for optimising the radiographic technique in digital X-ray imaging., Radiation Protection Dosimetry, vol 114 no. 1-3 (2005), pp. 220-229 [10.1093/rpd/nch562] [abs].
- McKinley, RL; Tornai, MP; Samei, E; Bradshaw, ML, Simulation study of a quasi-monochromatic beam for x-ray computed mammotomography., Medical physics, vol 31 no. 4 (2004), pp. 800-813 [10.1118/1.1668371] [abs].
- Tornai, MP; Bowsher, JE; Jaszczak, RJ; Pieper, BC; Greer, KL; Hardenbergh, PH; Coleman, RE, Mammotomography with pinhole incomplete circular orbit SPECT., Journal of nuclear medicine : official publication, Society of Nuclear Medicine, vol 44 no. 4 (2003), pp. 583-593 [abs].
- Tornai, MP; Patt, BE; Iwanczyk, JS; Tull, CR; MacDonald, LR; Hoffman, EJ, A novel silicon array designed for intraoperative charged particle imaging., Medical physics, vol 29 no. 11 (2002), pp. 2529-2540 [10.1118/1.1514241] [abs].
- Bowsher, JE; Tornai, MP; Peter, J; González Trotter, DE; Krol, A; Gilland, DR; Jaszczak, RJ, Modeling the axial extension of a transmission line source within iterative reconstruction via multiple transmission sources., IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 21 no. 3 (2002), pp. 200-215 [10.1109/42.996339] [abs].
- Krol, A; Bowsher, JE; Manglos, SH; Feiglin, DH; Tornai, MP; Thomas, FD, An EM algorithm for estimating SPECT emission and transmission parameters from emissions data only., IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 20 no. 3 (2001), pp. 218-232 [10.1109/42.918472] [abs].
- Peter, J; Tornai, MP; Jaszczek, RJ, Analytical versus voxelized phantom representation for Monte Carlo simulation in radiological imaging., IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 19 no. 5 (2000), pp. 556-564 [10.1109/42.870266] [abs].
- Hoffman, EJ; Tornai, MP; Janecek, M; Patt, BE; Iwanczyk, JS, Intraoperative probes and imaging probes., European journal of nuclear medicine, vol 26 no. 8 (1999), pp. 913-935 [abs].
- Tornai, MP; Jaszczak, RJ; Turkington, TG; Coleman, RE, Small-animal PET: advent of a new era of PET research., Journal of nuclear medicine : official publication, Society of Nuclear Medicine, vol 40 no. 7 (1999), pp. 1176-1179 [abs].