Gregg E Trahey
Robert Plonsey Professor of Biomedical Engineering
My laboratory develops and evaluates novel ultrasonic imaging methods. Current projects involve high resolutioon imaging of the breast and mechanical characterization of the breast and cardiovascular system. We conduct phantom, animal, ex vivo and in vivo trials. Current clinical trials involve imaging of soft and hard vascular plaques and mecahnical imaging of breast lesions.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Robert Plonsey Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in Radiology
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 275 Engineering Annex, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5169
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1985
- M.S. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1979
- B.S. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1975
Medical ultrasound, image guided surgery, adaptive imaging, imaging of tissue's mechanical properties, and radiation force imaging.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- MERIT Award. National Institutes of Health. 2009
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
- BME 354L: Introduction to Medical Instrumentation
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 542: Principles of Ultrasound Imaging (GE, IM)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 844: Advanced Ultrasonic Imaging
- BME 848L: Radiology in Practice
- EGR 79S: Thrive
- MEDPHY 738: Radiology in Practice
- Vejdani-Jahromi, M; Freedman, J; Trahey, GE; Wolf, PD, Measuring Intraventricular Pressure Using Ultrasound Elastography., Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol 38 no. 5 (2019), pp. 1167-1177 [10.1002/jum.14795] [abs].
- Kakkad, V; LeFevre, M; Hollender, P; Kisslo, J; Trahey, GE, Non-invasive Measurement of Dynamic Myocardial Stiffness Using Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Imaging., Ultrasound Med Biol, vol 45 no. 5 (2019), pp. 1112-1130 [10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2018.12.011] [abs].
- Morgan, MR; Hyun, D; Trahey, GE, Short-lag Spatial Coherence Imaging in 1.5-D and 1.75-D Arrays: Elevation Performance and Array Design Considerations., Ieee Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control (2019) [10.1109/tuffc.2019.2906553] [abs].
- Flint, K; Bottenus, N; Long, W; Bradway, D; McNally, P; Ellestad, S; Trahey, G, Implementation and Clinical Evaluation of a Fetal ALARA Ultrasound System, Ieee International Ultrasonics Symposium, Ius, vol 2018-October (2018) [10.1109/ULTSYM.2018.8579734] [abs].
- Caenen, A; Hollender, P; Bottenus, N; Segers, P; Trahey, G; Palmeri, M, Investigating the Degree of Shear Wave Speed Anisotropy as a Function of Studied Ventricular Zone, Ieee International Ultrasonics Symposium, Ius, vol 2018-October (2018) [10.1109/ULTSYM.2018.8580228] [abs].