Allen W Song
Professor in Radiology
The research in our lab is concerned with advancing structural and functional MRI methodologies (e.g. fast and high-resolution imaging techniques) for human brain imaging. We also aim to improve our understanding of functional brain signals, including spatiotemporal characterizations of the blood oxygenation level dependent contrast and alternative contrast mechanisms that are more directly linked to the neuronal activities. Additional effort is invested in applying and validating the developed methods to study human functional neuroanatomy.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Radiology
- Director of the Center for Brain Imaging and Analysis
- Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Professor in Neurobiology
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 40 Duke Medicine Circle, Davison 414, Box 3918, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1215
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Emory University, 1999
- National Institutes of Health, 1996
- Ph.D. Medical College of Wisconsin, 1995
Song's research program is centered on high-resolution MRI methodological development to best depict and detect human brain structure and function.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2001
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
In the News
- Allen Song Named Interim Director of Brain Institute (Jun 26, 2015)
- NIH Getting Serious About the Brain (Oct 13, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- Duke Researchers Among the First Funded In President’s BRAIN Initiative (Oct 1, 2014)
- Bruce, IP; Petty, C; Song, AW, Simultaneous and inherent correction of B0 and eddy-current induced distortions in high-resolution diffusion MRI using reversed polarity gradients and multiplexed sensitivity encoding (RPG-MUSE)., Neuroimage, vol 183 (2018), pp. 985-993 [10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.09.055] [abs].
- Darnell, D; Cuthbertson, J; Robb, F; Song, AW; Truong, T-K, Integrated radio-frequency/wireless coil design for simultaneous MR image acquisition and wireless communication., Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2018) [10.1002/mrm.27513] [abs].
- Bell, RP; Barnes, LL; Towe, SL; Chen, N-K; Song, AW; Meade, CS, Structural connectome differences in HIV infection: brain network segregation associated with nadir CD4 cell count., Journal of Neurovirology, vol 24 no. 4 (2018), pp. 454-463 [10.1007/s13365-018-0634-4] [abs].
- Darnell, D; Ma, Y; Wang, H; Robb, F; Song, AW; Truong, T-K, Adaptive integrated parallel reception, excitation, and shimming (iPRES-A) with microelectromechanical systems switches., Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol 80 no. 1 (2018), pp. 371-379 [10.1002/mrm.27007] [abs].
- Sun, JM; Song, AW; Case, LE; Mikati, MA; Gustafson, KE; Simmons, R; Goldstein, R; Petry, J; McLaughlin, C; Waters-Pick, B; Chen, LW; Wease, S; Blackwell, B; Worley, G; Troy, J; Kurtzberg, J, Effect of Autologous Cord Blood Infusion on Motor Function and Brain Connectivity in Young Children with Cerebral Palsy: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial., Stem Cells Translational Medicine, vol 6 no. 12 (2017), pp. 2071-2078 [10.1002/sctm.17-0102] [abs].