Allen W Song
Professor in Radiology
The research in our lab is concerned with advancing structural and functional MRI methodologies (e.g. fast and high-resolution imaging techniques) for human brain imaging. We also aim to improve our understanding of functional brain signals, including spatiotemporal characterizations of the blood oxygenation level dependent contrast and alternative contrast mechanisms that are more directly linked to the neuronal activities. Additional effort is invested in applying and validating the developed methods to study human functional neuroanatomy.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Radiology
- Director of the Center for Brain Imaging and Analysis
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in Neurobiology
- Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 40 Duke Medicine Circle, Davison 414, Box 3918, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1215
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Emory University, 1999
- National Institutes of Health, 1996
- Ph.D. Medical College of Wisconsin, 1995
Song's research program is centered on high-resolution MRI methodological development to best depict and detect human brain structure and function.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2001
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
In the News
- Allen Song Named Interim Director of Brain Institute (Jun 26, 2015)
- NIH Getting Serious About the Brain (Oct 13, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- Duke Researchers Among the First Funded In President’s BRAIN Initiative (Oct 1, 2014)
- Cuthbertson, JD; Truong, T-K; Stormont, R; Robb, F; Song, AW; Darnell, D, An iPRES-W Coil Array for Simultaneous Imaging and Wireless Localized B0 Shimming of the Cervical Spinal Cord., Magn Reson Med, vol 88 no. 2 (2022), pp. 1002-1014 [10.1002/mrm.29257] [abs].
- Hall, SA; Bell, RP; Gadde, S; Towe, SL; Nadeem, MT; McCann, PS; Song, AW; Meade, CS, Strengthened and posterior-shifted structural rich-club organization in people who use cocaine., Drug Alcohol Depend, vol 235 (2022) [10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2022.109436] [abs].
- Darnell, D; Truong, T-K; Song, AW, Recent Advances in Radio-Frequency Coil Technologies: Flexible, Wireless, and Integrated Coil Arrays., J Magn Reson Imaging, vol 55 no. 4 (2022), pp. 1026-1042 [10.1002/jmri.27865] [abs].
- Howard, CM; Jain, S; Cook, AD; Packard, LE; Mullin, HA; Chen, N-K; Liu, C; Song, AW; Madden, DJ, Cortical iron mediates age-related decline in fluid cognition., Hum Brain Mapp, vol 43 no. 3 (2022), pp. 1047-1060 [10.1002/hbm.25706] [abs].
- Willey, D; Darnell, D; Song, AW; Truong, T-K, Application of an integrated radio-frequency/shim coil technology for signal recovery in fMRI., Magn Reson Med, vol 86 no. 6 (2021), pp. 3067-3081 [10.1002/mrm.28925] [abs].