Louis E. DeFrate
Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
Appointments and Affiliations
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report)
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News)
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine)
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News)
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Ruprecht, JC; Waanders, TD; Rowland, CR; Nishimuta, JF; Glass, KA; Stencel, J; DeFrate, LE; Guilak, F; Weinberg, JB; McNulty, AL, Meniscus-Derived Matrix Scaffolds Promote the Integrative Repair of Meniscal Defects., Scientific Reports, vol 9 no. 1 (2019) [10.1038/s41598-019-44855-3] [abs].
- Englander, ZA; Cutcliffe, HC; Utturkar, GM; Taylor, KA; Spritzer, CE; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, In vivo assessment of the interaction of patellar tendon tibial shaft angle and anterior cruciate ligament elongation during flexion., J Biomech, vol 90 (2019), pp. 123-127 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2019.04.034] [abs].
- DeFrate, LE; Kim-Wang, SY; Englander, ZA; McNulty, AL, Osteoarthritis year in review 2018: mechanics., Osteoarthritis Cartilage, vol 27 no. 3 (2019), pp. 392-400 [10.1016/j.joca.2018.12.011] [abs].
- Paranjape, CS; Cutcliffe, HC; Grambow, SC; Utturkar, GM; Collins, AT; Garrett, WE; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, A New Stress Test for Knee Joint Cartilage., Scientific Reports, vol 9 no. 1 (2019) [10.1038/s41598-018-38104-2] [abs].
- Taylor, KA; Collins, AT; Heckelman, LN; Kim, SY; Utturkar, GM; Spritzer, CE; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, Activities of daily living influence tibial cartilage T1rho relaxation times., J Biomech, vol 82 (2019), pp. 228-233 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.10.029] [abs].