Louis E. DeFrate
Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
Appointments and Affiliations
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog )
- Liu, B; Goode, AP; Carter, TE; Utturkar, GM; Huebner, JL; Taylor, DC; Moorman Iii, CT; Garrett, WE; Kraus, VB; Guilak, F; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Matrix metalloproteinase activity and prostaglandin E2 are elevated in the synovial fluid of meniscus tear patients., Connective Tissue Research (Informa) (2016), pp. 1-12 [abs].
- Cher, WL; Utturkar, GM; Spritzer, CE; Nunley, JA; DeFrate, LE; Collins, AT, An analysis of changes in in vivo cartilage thickness of the healthy ankle following dynamic activity., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 49 no. 13 (2016), pp. 3026-3030 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.05.030] [abs].
- Lad, NK; Liu, B; Ganapathy, PK; Utturkar, GM; Sutter, EG; Moorman, CT; Garrett, WE; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, Effect of normal gait on in vivo tibiofemoral cartilage strains., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 49 no. 13 (2016), pp. 2870-2876 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.06.025] [abs].
- Kim, SY; Spritzer, CE; Utturkar, GM; Toth, AP; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, Knee Kinematics During Noncontact Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury as Determined From Bone Bruise Location., American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol 43 no. 10 (2015), pp. 2515-2521 [10.1177/0363546515594446] [abs].
- Carter, TE; Taylor, KA; Spritzer, CE; Utturkar, GM; Taylor, DC; III, MCT; Garrett, WE; Guilak, F; McNulty, AL; DeFrate, LE, In vivo cartilage strain increases following medial meniscal tear and correlates with synovial fluid matrix metalloproteinase activity, Journal of Biomechanics, vol 48 no. 8 (2015), pp. 1461-1468 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.02.030] [abs].