Louis E. DeFrate
Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
In the News
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report)
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News)
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine)
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News)
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Kim-Wang, SY; Scribani, MB; Whiteside, MB; DeFrate, LE; Lassiter, TE; Wittstein, JR, Distribution of Bone Contusion Patterns in Acute Noncontact Anterior Cruciate Ligament-Torn Knees., Am J Sports Med (2021) [10.1177/0363546520981569] [abs].
- Cutcliffe, HC; DeFrate, LE, Four-Point Bending Testing for Mechanical Assessment of Mouse Bone Structural Properties., Methods Mol Biol, vol 2230 (2021), pp. 199-215 [10.1007/978-1-0716-1028-2_12] [abs].
- Andress, B; Kim, JH; Cutcliffe, HC; Amendola, A; Goode, AP; Varghese, S; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Meniscus cell regional phenotypes: Dedifferentiation and reversal by biomaterial embedding., J Orthop Res (2020) [10.1002/jor.24954] [abs].
- Cutcliffe, HC; Davis, KM; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, L, The Characteristic Recovery Time as a Novel, Noninvasive Metric for Assessing In Vivo Cartilage Mechanical Function., Ann Biomed Eng, vol 48 no. 12 (2020), pp. 2901-2910 [10.1007/s10439-020-02558-1] [abs].
- Collins, AT; Kulvaranon, M; Spritzer, CE; McNulty, AL; DeFrate, LE, The Influence of Obesity and Meniscal Coverage on In Vivo Tibial Cartilage Thickness and Strain., Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, vol 8 no. 12 (2020) [10.1177/2325967120964468] [abs].