Coulter Translational Partnership
Since 2006, the goal of the Duke-Coulter Translational Partnership Grant Program has been to accelerate the development of promising bioengineering research that address important unmet clinical needs and leads to improvement in commercial development and clinical practice.
Examples of desirable outcomes include inventions, patents, improved diagnosis and treatment of disease, follow-on funding (e.g. grants, SBIR, angel investment) commercial products, licenses, commercial partnerships and/or start-up companies.
Each year, we have a call for proposals. Each translational research proposal must have at least one individual whose primary or secondary appointment is in the Department of Biomedical Engineering and at least one clinical investigator. The research must relate directly to applications in health care, and the objectives of the project should include an outcome that will benefit patients. Evaluation of each proposal will be on the basis of scientific merit, potential health care impact and significance, experience of the investigators, the potential for commercialization or translation to patient care and for successfully obtaining further support.
Each year we typically award three to five grants. Award amounts vary based upon amount requested and budget evaluation of the Oversight Committee. Typically, we have about $700,000 per year for awards.
See a list of our current projects.
Deadlines for the 2015-2016 Grant Cycle
- March 9: Proposals due
- March 9 - April 15: Review of proposals and selection for oral presentations
- May: Oral presentations and selection of grant recipients
- May: Announce winners
- September 1: Launch projects
- December 1: First quarterly report due
- March 1: Second quarterly report due
- February: Project update presentation to the Oversight Committee
The program is led by:
- Barry Myers, MD, PhD, MBA email@example.com, Coulter Translational Partnership Coulter Program Director, and Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Lynn Sutton, firstname.lastname@example.org, Associate Coulter Program Director
- Wayne Beyer, PhD, email@example.com, Coulter Project Leader
- Jennifer Bond, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org, Coulter Project Leader
- Vonda Rodriguez, PhD, email@example.com, Coulter Project Leader
- Kristi Viles, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org, Coulter Project Leader
- Rachel Karatz, email@example.com, Coulter Staff Assistant
They will assist selected projects with issues related to business planning, licensing and patents.