Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member of Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Phone: (919) 613-2147
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2006
- B.S. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2001
Dr. Gersbach’s research interests are in gene therapy, biomolecular and cellular engineering, regenerative medicine, and synthetic biology.
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Polymer and Protein Engineering
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 562: Biology by Design (GE, MC)
- BME 711S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
- BME 712S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- GENOME 293: Research Independent Study Genome Sciences
- GENOME 294: Research Independent Study Genome Sciences
- ME 717S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
- ME 718S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- P Perez-Pinera, DD Kocak, CM Vockley, AF Adler, AM Kabadi, LR Polstein, PI Thakore, KA Glass, DG Ousterout, KW Leong, F Guilak, GE Crawford, TE Reddy, CA Gersbach, RNA-Guided Gene Activation by CRISPR-Cas9-Based Transcription Factors, Nature Methods (2013).
- DG Ousterout, P Perez-Pinera, PI Thakore, AM Kabadi, MT Brown, X Qin, O Fredrigo, V Mouly, JP Tremblay, CA Gersbach, Reading Frame Correction by Targeted Genome Editing Restores Dystrophin Expression in Cells from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patients, Molecular Therapy, vol 21 no. 9 (2013), pp. 1718-26.
- P. Perez-Pinera, D.G. Ousterout, J.M. Brunger, A.M. Farin, K.A. Glass, F. Guilak, G.E. Crawford, A.J. Hartemink, C.A. Gersbach, Synergistic and Tunable Human Gene Activation by Combinations of Engineered Transcription Factors, Nature Methods, vol 10 no. 3 (2013), pp. 239-42.
- L.R. Polstein and C.A. Gersbach, Light-inducible spatiotemporal control of gene activation by customizable zinc finger transcription factors, Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 134 no. 40 (2012), pp. 16480-3.
- P. Perez-Pinera, D.G. Ousterout, and C.A. Gersbach, Advances in targeted genome editing, Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol 16 no. 3-4 (2012), pp. 268-77.
- C.A. Gersbach, T. Gaj, R.M. Gordley, A.C. Mercer, and C.F. Barbas, III., Targeted plasmid integration into the human genome by an engineered zinc-finger recombinase, Nucleic Acids Research, vol 39 no. 17 (2011), pp. 7868-78.
- R.M. Gordley, C.A. Gersbach, and C.F. Barbas, III, Synthesis of programmable integrases, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, vol 106 no. 13 (2009), pp. 5053-8.
- C. A. Gersbach, S. R. Coyer, J. M. Le Doux, and A. J. Garcia, Biomaterial-mediated retroviral gene transfer using self-assembled monolayers, Biomaterials, vol 28 no. 34 (2007), pp. 5121 - 5127.