Charles A Gersbach
Rooney Family Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Rooney Family Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 2353C CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-2147
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2006
- B.S. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2001
Dr. Gersbach's research interests are in gene therapy, biomolecular and cellular engineering, regenerative medicine, and synthetic biology.
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Polymer and Protein Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 562: Biology by Design (GE, MC)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- EGR 491: Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Two Postdocs Win Gene Therapy Fellowship (Nov 29, 2017)
- Screening the Human Genome's 'Dark Matter' (Apr 4, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- CRISPR Screen Detects Functional Gene Regulation (Apr 3, 2017 | The Scientist )
- Betting on the first disease to be treated by gene editing (Mar 15, 2017 | CNBC )
- Duke Awards Distinguished Professorships, Inducts New Bass Society Members (May 5, 2016)
- Gene editing treats disease in mice (Jan 4, 2016 | BBC News )
- Gene editing offers hope for treating Duchenne muscular dystrophy, studies find (Jan 4, 2016 | The New York Times )
- CRISPR Treats Genetic Disorder in Adult Mammal (Dec 31, 2015)
- Pratt Research Brings Precise Control to Gene Expression (Oct 27, 2015)
- Studying the Harm and Healing Power of Steroids (May 26, 2015)
- Engineers gain control of gene activity; new therapies may be ahead (Apr 6, 2015)
- Bacterial Defense Mechanism Targets Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (Feb 19, 2015)
- Bacterial Defense Mechanism Targets Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (Feb 18, 2015)
- Lighting Up the Duke 'D' With Genes (Feb 10, 2015)
- Black, JB; Adler, AF; Wang, H-G; D'Ippolito, AM; Hutchinson, HA; Reddy, TE; Pitt, GS; Leong, KW; Gersbach, CA, Targeted Epigenetic Remodeling of Endogenous Loci by CRISPR/Cas9-Based Transcriptional Activators Directly Converts Fibroblasts to Neuronal Cells., Cell Stem Cell, vol 19 no. 3 (2016), pp. 406-414 [10.1016/j.stem.2016.07.001] [abs].
- Maeder, ML; Gersbach, CA, Genome-editing Technologies for Gene and Cell Therapy., Molecular Therapy, vol 24 no. 3 (2016), pp. 430-446 [10.1038/mt.2016.10] [abs].
- Thakore, PI; Black, JB; Hilton, IB; Gersbach, CA, Editing the epigenome: technologies for programmable transcription and epigenetic modulation., Nature Methods, vol 13 no. 2 (2016), pp. 127-137 [10.1038/nmeth.3733] [abs].
- Nelson, CE; Hakim, CH; Ousterout, DG; Thakore, PI; Moreb, EA; Castellanos Rivera, RM; Madhavan, S; Pan, X; Ran, FA; Yan, WX; Asokan, A; Zhang, F; Duan, D; Gersbach, CA, In vivo genome editing improves muscle function in a mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy., Science, vol 351 no. 6271 (2016), pp. 403-407 [10.1126/science.aad5143] [abs].
- Thakore, PI; D'Ippolito, AM; Song, L; Safi, A; Shivakumar, NK; Kabadi, AM; Reddy, TE; Crawford, GE; Gersbach, CA, Highly specific epigenome editing by CRISPR-Cas9 repressors for silencing of distal regulatory elements., Nature Methods, vol 12 no. 12 (2015), pp. 1143-1149 [10.1038/nmeth.3630] [abs].
- Hilton, IB; D'Ippolito, AM; Vockley, CM; Thakore, PI; Crawford, GE; Reddy, TE; Gersbach, CA, Epigenome editing by a CRISPR-Cas9-based acetyltransferase activates genes from promoters and enhancers., Nature Biotechnology, vol 33 no. 5 (2015), pp. 510-517 [10.1038/nbt.3199] [abs].
- Polstein, LR; Gersbach, CA, A light-inducible CRISPR-Cas9 system for control of endogenous gene activation., Nature Chemical Biology, vol 11 no. 3 (2015), pp. 198-200 [10.1038/nchembio.1753] [abs].
- Ousterout, DG; Kabadi, AM; Thakore, PI; Majoros, WH; Reddy, TE; Gersbach, CA, Multiplex CRISPR/Cas9-based genome editing for correction of dystrophin mutations that cause Duchenne muscular dystrophy., Nature Communications, vol 6 (2015) [10.1038/ncomms7244] [abs].
- Perez-Pinera, P; Kocak, DD; Vockley, CM; Adler, AF; Kabadi, AM; Polstein, LR; Thakore, PI; Glass, KA; Ousterout, DG; Leong, KW; Guilak, F; Crawford, GE; Reddy, TE; Gersbach, CA, RNA-guided gene activation by CRISPR-Cas9-based transcription factors., Nature Methods, vol 10 no. 10 (2013), pp. 973-976 [10.1038/nmeth.2600] [abs].