Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical EngineeringAnn Saterbak is director of the Duke Engineering First-Year Experience and a professor of the practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. She is a nationally recognized engineering educator with a focus on creating undergraduate programs that broaden students problem solving skills through real-world problems, inquiry-based learning, and hands-on experiences. In fall 2017, she will launch a new design course for first-year Pratt students.
Before coming to Duke, she was the associate dean for engineering education and full teaching professor in bioengineering in the George R. Brown School of Engineering at Rice University. At Rice, she launched a successful first-year engineering design course in which students solved community-based, client-driven problems and built physical prototypes. Her outstanding teaching at Rice was recognized by four university-wide teaching awards. She is the lead author of the textbook Bioengineering Fundamentals.
For her contribution to education within biomedical engineering, she was elected a fellow in the Biomedical Engineering Society and the American Society of Engineering Education. Saterbak has been a frequent presenter of educational materials at annual ASEE and BMES conferences. In building the undergraduate bioengineering laboratory at Rice, she applied four years of industry experience working at the Shell Development Company.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Director of the Duke Engineering First Year Experience
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 1995
Innovations in undergraduate engineering education, particularly new pedagogical methods that broaden students’ problem solving skills and design thinking.
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- EGR 190L: Special Topics in Engineering with Lab Component
In the News
- New First-Year Design Course, Space Debut (Aug 24, 2017)
- Saterbak to Lead Redesign of Pratt First-Year Experience (Apr 10, 2017)
- Beier, ME; Saterbak, A; McSpedon, MR; Wolf, M, Selection process of students for a novel STEM summer bridge program, vol 2017-June (2017) [abs].
- McSpedon, M; Saterbak, A; Wolf, M, Summer bridge program structured to cover most demanding STEM topics, ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2016-June (2016) [abs].
- Saterbak, A; Wettergreen, M; Roberts, Z, Teaching first-year engineering design using a flipped classroom model, vol 2016-June (2016) [abs].
- Torres, WJ; Saterbak, A; Beier, ME, Long-term impact of an elective, first-year engineering design course, ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2016-June (2016) [abs].
- Saterbak, A; Volz, T; Wettergreen, M, Implementing and assessing a flipped classroom model for first-year engineering design, Advances in Engineering Education, vol 5 no. 3 (2016) [abs].