Graduation with Departmental Distinction in BME
To be awarded Graduation with Departmental Distinction (GWDD) in BME, eligible students should:
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.500 or higher at graduation.
- Complete an original and independent research project in biomedical engineering under faculty supervision. A project from a BME course or an independent study course does not automatically qualify. Students should speak to their project supervisors to determine the suitability of the project.
- Pay particular attention to the biomedical engineering content of the project. The abstract, poster and report should relfect this content explicitly, particularly if the project is done with a faculty member outside of the BME department.
- Select an examination committee consisting of three (3) faculty members. Two (2) of the three faculty members must be from the primary BME faculty. Primary BME faculty is any faculty member appearing on the webpage http://bme.duke.edu/faculty except for Secondary Faculty.
- Submit a one-page abstract of the research and the online “Application for Graduation with Departmental Distinction in BME,” signed by the faculty supervisor, before the deadline.
~ For the Class of 2021, the abstract and form must be submitted before noon EDT, Friday, April 2, 2021.
- Submit a written report on the research project, if one is requested by their faculty supervisor. In the report, describe the problem considered, methods used, results obtained, and a discussion of the results and their significance. Speak with your faculty supervisor about any additional guidelines.
~ For the Class of 2021, copies of the report must be distributed to the committee members by April 16, 2021. Provide one copy to Cynthia Meade in the BME office.
- Prepare a poster for the GWDD Poster Session. Attend the event. Applicants and their faculty supervisors determine the format for the poster. The applicant's faculty committee and others will view the poster and ask questions concerning the research. Easels will be available by 11:00 am so that so that posters may be set up ahead of time.
~ For the Class of 2021, the poster session will be held virtually from 12:00-1:30 p.m. EDT Thursday, April 22, 2021.
- Students graduating in December must complete requirements 2 through 7 in April of the same year. Requirement 1 should be met by December.
- More information on Graduation with Departmental Distinction requirements is available in the BME Undergraduate Handbook