Master's Student Research Fellowship Program
Supporting research by students in Duke BME master's programs
To be considered for the program, students must:
- Submit a research proposal
- Identify a faculty advisor, who then submits a supporting letter
Applications can be submitted at any time.
"The fellowship gave me the opportunity to do interdisciplinary research while still contributing to my education.”
The program is for Master of Science (MS) and Master of Engineering (MEng) students.
All BME students who are pursuing the thesis option for the MS degree, or are engaged in at least a semester long independent research project in the laboratory of a BME primary or secondary faculty member, are eligible.
Students may request funding for one semester or two semesters.
- For 1 semester projects: applicants may apply for Spring, Summer or Fall semester
- For 2 semester projects: applicants may apply for Spring and Summer semesters, Spring and Fall semesters, or Summer and Fall semesters
The amount awarded will vary depending on the nature of the project, and will typically range between $250 and $1,000 per semester. The funds will be directly disbursed to the faculty member, and will be used to support the research of the awardee.
The maximum amount that can be requested for research over two semesters is $2,000.
- A two-page proposal that contains: (1) Title, (2) Objective and Specific Aims, (3) Significance, (4) Research Plan, and a brief (5) Justification and Description of the use of funds. Figures and Tables count toward the two-page limit, but references do not.
- A one-page curriculum vitae
- A short letter from the faculty mentor, attesting that the student applicant is currently, or will be, performing research in the laboratory of the faculty member and that she or he supports the application. To be submitted separately by the faculty member.
- Submit the two-page application and one-page curriculum vitae, as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The letter from the faculty should be sent separately by the faculty member to email@example.com
- There is no deadline. The application can be submitted at any time.