Master's Certificate in Medical Device Design
Learn advanced biomedical device design while earning your Master's degree
Students in the Master of Engineering (MEng) program or the Master of Science (MS) program in Duke's Department of Biomedical Engineering can greatly enhance their degree and gain career advantages with a Certificate in Medical Device Design.
This application-only certificate is limited to BME MS or MEng students who seek to work in the medical device industry upon graduation and who already have design experience, such as a capstone course.
As a master's medical device design certificate student, you will:
- Gain hands-on engineering design skills relevant to device design relevant to device design and manufacturing
- Learn the medical product development process—including design ethnography, quality regulatory controls, manufacturing strategies, and verification and validation testing
- Be well-prepared for a career in the medical equipment industry, which in the U.S. is expected to grow to over $200 billion annually in the coming decade
Students design solutions to authentic clinical problems
Certificate students take four courses designed specifically for them, which include an intensive hands-on opportunity to work alongside clinicians.
In partnership with the Duke Design Health Program, the courses provide an in-depth exploration of industry methods and a simulation of how a product development team works in the medical device industry––including identifying customer needs, designing and developing prototypes, and creating implementation strategies. They also strengthen a student's skills in design and manufacturing through advanced CAD techniques, materials and manufacturing process selection, and a series of design projects.
In addition to departmental requirements, technical electives and the internship requirement of the Master of Engineering (MEng) degree in biomedical engineering, successful candidates for the certificate also complete:
Advanced Design and Prototyping Skills
Fall and Spring
|Quality Management Systems for BMEs||
Two advanced design courses such as Clinical Immersion* for BMEs and/or Advanced Biomedical Design 1, and/or Advanced Biomedical Design 2
|Fall or Spring|
*A highly limited number of places are available on the Clinical Immersion course for applications. Students who do not join this cohort must complete the ABD1/2 sequence.
How to Apply
- Apply to the Duke BME Master of Science (MS) Program or to the BME Master of Engineering (MEng) Program
- Indicate Certificate in Medical Device Design on your master's application
- Upon acceptance to the MS or MEng program, the BME department will reach out to interested students with a secondary application for admission to the certificate program