Why Choose Duke BME?
Consistently ranked among the top five biomedical engineering programs in the U.S., Duke BME offers a highly regarded Ph.D. program—one of the first established in the field—as well as master of science and master of engineering degrees. Students can study with world-renowned faculty in specialty areas including:
- Biomaterials and tissue engineering*
- Synthetic biology
- Medical imaging* (ultrasound, MRI, CT, PET)
*Graduate certificates offered
At Duke, you can enjoy advantages such as:
- An energetic, interdisciplinary research environment. Our faculty are leaders across the board—and more than half have joint appointments within Duke’s top-10 ranked School of Medicine. Those connections, plus the Duke/Coulter Translational Research Partnership, give Duke BME students unique opportunities for participating in cutting-edge translational research. Unlike most other doctoral programs, we admit Ph.D. students directly into a specific research group—providing you with the advantage of working with your research advisor from day one.
- A highly entrepreneurial culture, with a strong record of faculty, student and alumni start-up successes—plus close ties to domestic and international industry partners in nearby Research Triangle Park and beyond.
- PhD Plus, an innovative professional development program offering summer workshops, seminars, networking opportunities, and internship resources to position Duke PhD students for career success.
- Full funding plus conference and travel support for PhD students—even early in your studies.
- A welcoming and close-knit community of peers and mentors within BME and across Duke.
- A terrific location in Durham, North Carolina—one of America’s most-awarded cities—plus a lower cost of living compared to other metropolitan areas
Apply to Duke BME
Learn how to apply, get tips on your application and find our feedback schedule.