Roger W Nightingale
Adjunct Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Dr. Nightingale's research interests include:
- biomechanical investigations of cervical spine trauma,
- the biomechanics of brain injury
- development of cervical spine injury criteria, tensile responses and tensile tolerance of the cervical spine,
- development of computational models (finite element and multi-body dynamics) of cervical spine impact,
- factors influencing injury in airbag deployments,
- pediatric airbag injuries and injury mechanisms,
- factors influencing dynamic buckling of segmented structures subjected to impact loads,
- the 3-D stability of intact and injured spinal motion segments,
- evaluation of the performance of intrapedicular spinal instrumentation,
- evaluation of titanium wire implants for posterior lumbar interbody fusion,
- evaluation of the protective ability of soccer shin-guards, and
- Accoustic Radiation Force Impulse (ARFI) imaging
- remote palpation of breast lesions using ultrasound radiation force.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: Duke University, Room 1427 Fciemas, Box 90281, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Office Phone: (919) 943-8068
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1997
Dr. Nightingale's current research interests include: crash test dummies, pediatric head and neck injury, the biomechanics of trauma, modeling of the human head and cervical spine, and the mechanical characterization of head and neck tissues.
- BME 302L: Fundamentals of Biomaterials and Biomechanics (AC or GE)
- BME 432L: Biomechanics and Vehicle Safety Engineering (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- Loyd, AM; Nightingale, RW; Luck, JF; Song, Y; Fronheiser, L; Cutcliffe, H; Myers, BS; Dale Bass, CR, The compressive stiffness of human pediatric heads., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 48 no. 14 (2015), pp. 3766-3775 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.08.024] [abs].
- Loyd, AM; Nightingale, RW; Song, Y; Luck, JF; Cutcliffe, H; Myers, BS; Bass, CD, The response of the adult and ATD heads to impacts onto a rigid surface., Accident; Analysis and Prevention, vol 72 (2014), pp. 219-229 [10.1016/j.aap.2014.06.022] [abs].
- Lee, C; Loyd, AM; Nightingale, R; Myers, BS; Damon, A; Bass, CR, Three-dimensional adult male head and skull contours., Traffic Injury Prevention, vol 15 no. 4 (2014), pp. 402-406 [10.1080/15389588.2013.822492] [abs].
- Dibb, AT; Cutcliffe, HC; Luck, JF; Cox, CA; Myers, BS; Bass, CR; Arbogast, KB; Seacrist, T; Nightingale, RW, Pediatric head and neck dynamics in frontal impact: analysis of important mechanical factors and proposed neck performance corridors for 6- and 10-year-old ATDs., Traffic Injury Prevention, vol 15 no. 4 (2014), pp. 386-394 [10.1080/15389588.2013.824568] [abs].
- Luck, JF; Nightingale, RW; Song, Y; Kait, JR; Loyd, AM; Myers, BS; Bass, CRD, Tensile failure properties of the perinatal, neonatal, and pediatric cadaveric cervical spine., Spine (Phila Pa 1976), vol 38 no. 1 (2013), pp. E1-12 [10.1097/BRS.0b013e3182793873] [abs].
- DeMarco, AL; Chimich, DD; Gardiner, JC; Nightingale, RW; Siegmund, GP, The impact response of motorcycle helmets at different impact severities, Accident; Analysis and Prevention, vol 42 no. 6 (2010), pp. 1778-1784 [10.1016/j.aap.2010.04.019] [abs].
- Marcus, JR; Domeshek, LF; Loyd, AM; Schoenleber, JM; Das, RR; Nightingale, RW; Mukundan, S, Use of a three-dimensional, normative database of pediatric craniofacial morphology for modern anthropometric analysis., Plast Reconstr Surg, vol 124 no. 6 (2009), pp. 2076-2084 [10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181bf7e1b] [abs].
- Dibb, AT; Nightingale, RW; Luck, JF; Chancey, VC; Fronheiser, LE; Myers, BS, Tension and combined tension-extension structural response and tolerance properties of the human male ligamentous cervical spine., Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol 131 no. 8 (2009) [10.1115/1.3127257] [abs].
- Finan, JD; Nightingale, RW; Myers, BS, The influence of reduced friction on head injury metrics in helmeted head impacts., Traffic Inj Prev, vol 9 no. 5 (2008), pp. 483-488 [10.1080/15389580802272427] [abs].
- Chancey, VC; Ottaviano, D; Myers, BS; Nightingale, RW, A kinematic and anthropometric study of the upper cervical spine and the occipital condyles., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 40 no. 9 (2007), pp. 1953-1959 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2006.09.007] [abs].
- Nightingale, RW; Carol Chancey, V; Ottaviano, D; Luck, JF; Tran, L; Prange, M; Myers, BS, Flexion and extension structural properties and strengths for male cervical spine segments., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 40 no. 3 (2007), pp. 535-542 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2006.02.015] [abs].
- Nightingale, RW; Winkelstein, BA; Knaub, KE; Richardson, WJ; Luck, JF; Myers, BS, Comparative strengths and structural properties of the upper and lower cervical spine in flexion and extension., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 35 no. 6 (2002), pp. 725-732 [10.1016/s0021-9290(02)00037-4] [abs].
- Nightingale, K; Soo, MS; Nightingale, R; Trahey, G, Acoustic radiation force impulse imaging: in vivo demonstration of clinical feasibility., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 28 no. 2 (2002), pp. 227-235 [10.1016/s0301-5629(01)00499-9] [abs].
- Nightingale, K; Nightingale, R; Stutz, D; Trahey, G, Acoustic radiation force impulse imaging of in vivo vastus medialis muscle under varying isometric load, Ultrasonic Imaging, vol 24 no. 2 (2002), pp. 100-108 [abs].
- Camacho, DL; Nightingale, RW; Myers, BS, The influence of surface padding properties on head and neck injury risk., Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol 123 no. 5 (2001), pp. 432-439 [10.1115/1.1389086] [abs].
- Nightingale, KR; Palmeri, ML; Nightingale, RW; Trahey, GE, On the feasibility of remote palpation using acoustic radiation force., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 110 no. 1 (2001), pp. 625-634 [10.1121/1.1378344] [abs].
- Winkelstein, BA; Nightingale, RW; Richardson, WJ; Myers, BS, The cervical facet capsule and its role in whiplash injury: a biomechanical investigation., Spine, vol 25 no. 10 (2000), pp. 1238-1246 [10.1097/00007632-200005150-00007] [abs].
- Camacho, DL; Nightingale, RW; Myers, BS, Surface friction in near-vertex head and neck impact increases risk of injury., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 32 no. 3 (1999), pp. 293-301 [10.1016/s0021-9290(98)00178-x] [abs].
- Francisco, AC; Nightingale, RW; Guilak, F; Glisson, RR; Jr, WEG, Comparison of soccer shin guards in preventing tibia fracture, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Bioengineering Division (Publication) Bed, vol 42 (1999), pp. 623-624 [abs].
- Nightingale, RW; Armstrong, AJ; Camacho, DL; Myers, BS, Cervical spine buckling: The effects of vertebral mass and loading rate, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Bioengineering Division (Publication) Bed, vol 36 (1997), pp. 231-232 [abs].
- Nightingale, RW; McElhaney, JH; Camacho, DL; Kleinberger, M; Winkelstein, BA; Myers, BS, The dynamic responses of the cervical spine: Buckling, end conditions, and tolerance in compressive impacts, Sae Technical Papers (1997) [10.4271/973344] [abs].
- Nightingale, RW; McElhaney, JH; Richardson, WJ; Best, TM; Myers, BS, Experimental impact injury to the cervical spine: relating motion of the head and the mechanism of injury., The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume, vol 78 no. 3 (1996), pp. 412-421 [10.2106/00004623-199603000-00013] [abs].
- Nightingale, RW; McElhaney, JH; Richardson, WJ; Myers, BS, Dynamic responses of the head and cervical spine to axial impact loading., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 29 no. 3 (1996), pp. 307-318 [10.1016/0021-9290(95)00056-9] [abs].
- McElhaney, JH; Hopper, RH; Nightingale, RW; Myers, BS, Mechanisms of basilar skull fracture., Journal of Neurotrauma, vol 12 no. 4 (1995), pp. 669-678 [10.1089/neu.1995.12.669] [abs].