Paolo F. Maccarini
Assistant Research Professor of the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor of the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor - Track V in the Department of Anesthesiology
- Office Location: 101 Science Drive, 1427 Fciemas, Box 90281, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-7418
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of California at Santa Barbara, 2002
By merging advanced circuit/antenna design with multiphysics modeling, Dr. Maccarini pioneered low-cost passive sensors to noninvasively measure deep temperature for various diagnostic applications. By combining novel engineering solutions with immunotherapy/thermo-drugs, his collaborative efforts aim to more effective cancer therapies.
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- Rodrigues, DB; Stauffer, PR; Pereira, PJS; Maccarini, PF, Microwave radiometry for noninvasive monitoring of brain temperature (2018), pp. 87-127 [10.1007/978-3-319-75007-1_5] [abs].
- Vo-Dinh, T; Inman, B; Maccarini, P; Palmer, G; Liu, Y, Synergistic immuno photothermal nanotherapy (SYMPHONY) to treat metastatic cancers and induce anti-cancer vaccine effect, Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging Proceedings of Spie, vol 10484 (2018) [10.1117/12.2300089] [abs].
- Liu, Y; Maccarini, P; Palmer, GM; Etienne, W; Zhao, Y; Lee, C-T; Ma, X; Inman, BA; Vo-Dinh, T, Synergistic Immuno Photothermal Nanotherapy (SYMPHONY) for the Treatment of Unresectable and Metastatic Cancers., Scientific Reports, vol 7 no. 1 (2017) [10.1038/s41598-017-09116-1] [abs].
- Stauffer, PR; Rodrigues, DB; Maccarini, PF, Utility of microwave radiometry for diagnostic and therapeutic applications of non-invasive temperature monitoring, 2014 Ieee Benjamin Franklin Symposium on Microwave and Antenna Subsystems for Radar, Telecommunication, and Biomedical Applications, Benmas 2016 (2016) [10.1109/BenMAS.2014.7529480] [abs].
- Rodrigues, DB; Stauffer, PR; Maccarini, PF, Monitoring brown fat metabolic activity using microwave radiometry: Antenna design and frequency selection, 2014 Ieee Benjamin Franklin Symposium on Microwave and Antenna Subsystems for Radar, Telecommunication, and Biomedical Applications, Benmas 2016 (2016) [10.1109/BenMAS.2014.7529481] [abs].