Paolo F. Maccarini
Assistant Research Professor of the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor of the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor - Track V in the Department of Anesthesiology
- Office Location: 101 Science Drive, 1427 Fciemas, Box 90281, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-7418
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of California at Santa Barbara, 2002
Research InterestsBy merging advanced circuit/antenna design with multiphysics modeling, Dr. Maccarini pioneered low-cost passive sensors to noninvasively measure deep temperature for various diagnostic applications. By combining novel engineering solutions with immunotherapy/thermo-drugs, his collaborative efforts aim to more effective cancer therapies.
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 790: Advanced Topics for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- Stauffer, PR; Rodrigues, DB; Maccarini, PF, Utility of microwave radiometry for diagnostic and therapeutic applications of non-invasive temperature monitoring, 2014 IEEE Benjamin Franklin Symposium on Microwave and Antenna Subsystems for Radar, Telecommunication, and Biomedical Applications, BenMAS 2016 (2016) [10.1109/BenMAS.2014.7529480] [abs].
- Rodrigues, DB; Stauffer, PR; Maccarini, PF, Monitoring brown fat metabolic activity using microwave radiometry: Antenna design and frequency selection, 2014 IEEE Benjamin Franklin Symposium on Microwave and Antenna Subsystems for Radar, Telecommunication, and Biomedical Applications, BenMAS 2016 (2016) [10.1109/BenMAS.2014.7529481] [abs].
- Schooneveldt, G; Bakker, A; Balidemaj, E; Chopra, R; Crezee, J; Geijsen, ED; Hartmann, J; Hulshof, MCCM; Kok, HP; Paulides, MM; Sousa-Escandon, A; Stauffer, PR; Maccarini, PF, Thermal dosimetry for bladder hyperthermia treatment. An overview., International Journal of Hyperthermia (Informa), vol 32 no. 4 (2016), pp. 417-433 [10.3109/02656736.2016.1156170] [abs].
- Maccarini, PF; Shah, A; Palani, SY; Pearce, DV; Vardhan, M; Stauffer, PR; Rodrigues, DB; Salahi, S; Oliveira, TR; Reudink, D; Snow, BW, A novel compact microwave radiometric sensor to noninvasively track deep tissue thermal profiles, European Microwave Week 2015: "Freedom Through Microwaves", EuMW 2015 - Conference Proceedings; 2015 45th European Microwave Conference Proceedings, EuMC (2015), pp. 690-693 [10.1109/EuMC.2015.7345857] [abs].
- Rodrigues, DB; Hurwitz, MD; Maccarini, PF; Stauffer, PR, Optimization of chest wall hyperthermia treatment using a virtual human chest model, 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2015 (2015) [abs].