Kam W Leong
Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor Leong's research interest focuses on biomaterials design, particularly on synthesis of nanoparticles for DNA-based therapeutics, and nanostructured biomaterials for regenerative medicine
- design of self-assembled fibers for tissue engineering
- microfluidics-mediated synthesis of multifunctional nanoparticles for drug and gene delivery
- synthesis of novel quantum dots for biomedical applications
Controlled Drug and Gene Delivery:
- oral gene delivery for hemophilia A and B
- non-viral gene delivery to the GI tract
- oral delivery of antigen genes for vaccination
- study of response of stem cells to nanotopographical cues
- expansion of hematopoietic stem cells
- nerve guidance channels with drug and gene delivery functions
- microencapsulation of stem cells and genetically-engineered cells
- development of bioartificial nucleus pulposus device
- study of interaction of stem cells with synthetic nanostructured biomaterials
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 1395 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8466
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- B.S.CH.E. University of California at Santa Barbara, 1977
Leong's research interest focuses on biomaterials design, particularly on synthesis of nanoparticles for DNA-based therapeutics, and nanostructured biomaterials for regenerative medicine.
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Clemson Award for Applied Research. Society for Biomaterials. 2012
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
In the News
- Zhang, J; Li, J; Shi, Z; Yang, Y; Xie, X; Lee, SM; Wang, Y; Leong, KW; Chen, M, pH-sensitive polymeric nanoparticles for co-delivery of doxorubicin and curcumin to treat cancer via enhanced pro-apoptotic and anti-angiogenic activities, Acta Biomaterialia (2017) [10.1016/j.actbio.2017.04.029] [abs].
- Lu, M; Ozcelik, A; Grigsby, CL; Zhao, Y; Guo, F; Leong, KW; Huang, TJ, Microfluidic hydrodynamic focusing for synthesis of nanomaterials, Nano Today, vol 11 no. 6 (2016), pp. 778-792 [10.1016/j.nantod.2016.10.006] [abs].
- Jackman, JG; Juwarker, H; Poveromo, LP; Levinson, H; Leong, KW; Sullenger, BA, Polycationic Nanofibers for Nucleic Acid Scavenging., Biomacromolecules, vol 17 no. 11 (2016), pp. 3706-3713 [10.1021/acs.biomac.6b01236] [abs].
- Wang, S; Xu, Y; Chan, HF; Kim, H-W; Wang, Y; Leong, KW; Chen, M, Nanoparticle-mediated inhibition of survivin to overcome drug resistance in cancer therapy, Journal of Controlled Release, vol 240 (2016), pp. 454-464 [10.1016/j.jconrel.2016.04.018] [abs].
- Zhao, X; Yang, K; Zhao, R; Ji, T; Wang, X; Yang, X; Zhang, Y; Cheng, K; Liu, S; Hao, J; Ren, H; Leong, KW; Nie, G, Inducing enhanced immunogenic cell death with nanocarrier-based drug delivery systems for pancreatic cancer therapy, Biomaterials, vol 102 (2016), pp. 187-197 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.06.032] [abs].