Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
My lab studies implantable and wearable devices for treating neurological impairment, namely with deep brain stimulation (DBS) and transcranial electrical stimulation (tES). Projects evolve through theoretical and preclinical stages of development, combining biophysical and dynamic causal modeling, medical imaging, and device prototyping, to test new concepts and strategies for these neurotechnologies. Noninvasive studies on tES are conducted in tissue phantoms and healthy human subjects in-house, and we collaborate with physicians to test new concepts in clinical populations.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2015
- Biophysical deconstruction of evoked potentials to subcallosal and subthalamic DBS.
- Predictive modeling of DBS for targeting and parameter optimization.
- Combinatorial and interferential strategies for tES.
- Personalized, home-based administration of tES.
- Howell, B; McIntyre, CC, Feasibility of Interferential and Pulsed Transcranial Electrical Stimulation for Neuromodulation at the Human Scale., Neuromodulation : Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, vol 24 no. 5 (2021), pp. 843-853 [10.1111/ner.13137] [abs].
- Noecker, AM; Frankemolle-Gilbert, AM; Howell, B; Petersen, MV; Beylergil, SB; Shaikh, AG; McIntyre, CC, StimVision v2: Examples and Applications in Subthalamic Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease., Neuromodulation : Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, vol 24 no. 2 (2021), pp. 248-258 [10.1111/ner.13350] [abs].
- Lee, H-M; Howell, B; Grill, WM; Ghovanloo, M, Stimulation Efficiency With Decaying Exponential Waveforms in a Wirelessly Powered Switched-Capacitor Discharge Stimulation System., Ieee Transactions on Bio Medical Engineering, vol 65 no. 5 (2018), pp. 1095-1106 [10.1109/tbme.2017.2741107] [abs].
- Gunalan, K; Chaturvedi, A; Howell, B; Duchin, Y; Lempka, SF; Patriat, R; Sapiro, G; Harel, N; McIntyre, CC, Creating and parameterizing patient-specific deep brain stimulation pathway-activation models using the hyperdirect pathway as an example., Plos One, vol 12 no. 4 (2017) [10.1371/journal.pone.0176132] [abs].
- Howell, B; Medina, LE; Grill, WM, Effects of frequency-dependent membrane capacitance on neural excitability., Journal of Neural Engineering, vol 12 no. 5 (2015), pp. 56015-56015 [10.1088/1741-2560/12/5/056015] [abs].