Louis E. DeFrate
Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
Appointments and Affiliations
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog )
- DeFrate, LE, The effects of ACL graft placement on in vivo knee function and cartilage thickness distributions., Journal of Orthopaedic Research (2017) [10.1002/jor.23541] [abs].
- Hatcher, CC; Collins, AT; Kim, SY; Michel, LC; Mostertz, WC; Ziemian, SN; Spritzer, CE; Guilak, F; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Relationship between T1rho magnetic resonance imaging, synovial fluid biomarkers, and the biochemical and biomechanical properties of cartilage., Journal of Biomechanics (2017) [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2017.02.001] [abs].
- Liu, B; Goode, AP; Carter, TE; Utturkar, GM; Huebner, JL; Taylor, DC; Moorman Iii, CT; Garrett, WE; Kraus, VB; Guilak, F; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Matrix metalloproteinase activity and prostaglandin E2 are elevated in the synovial fluid of meniscus tear patients., Connective Tissue Research (Informa) (2016), pp. 1-12 [abs].
- Cher, WL; Utturkar, GM; Spritzer, CE; Nunley, JA; DeFrate, LE; Collins, AT, An analysis of changes in in vivo cartilage thickness of the healthy ankle following dynamic activity., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 49 no. 13 (2016), pp. 3026-3030 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.05.030] [abs].
- Lad, NK; Liu, B; Ganapathy, PK; Utturkar, GM; Sutter, EG; Moorman, CT; Garrett, WE; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, Effect of normal gait on in vivo tibiofemoral cartilage strains., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 49 no. 13 (2016), pp. 2870-2876 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.06.025] [abs].