Lawrence Anthony David
Assistant Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: Room 2171 CIEMAS Building, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-5388
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
To understand, predict, and manipulate how human microbiota behave over time. We are particularly interested in how these human-associated microbial communities resist and respond to perturbation.
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- MGM 293: Research Independent Study I
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Ten Scientists to Watch: Lawrence Davids gut check gets personal (Sep 22, 2016 | Science News )
- A Little Dirt Won't Hurt You (Jun 17, 2016)
- New Collaborative Seed Grant Program Gives Eight Awards (Mar 16, 2016)
- Lawrence David Named Searle Scholar (Apr 15, 2015)
- Q-and-A: Scientist studied his poop for a year to learn about gut bugs (Jul 25, 2014 | National Geographic )
- Lawrence David Gets to the Gut of the Matter (May 13, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- Five Science Faculty Win Sloan Fellowships (Feb 18, 2014)
- Changes in diet can alter gut bacteria within 24 hours (Dec 12, 2013 | Fox News, LiveScience )
- MIcrobes R Us (Oct 23, 2013)
- Washburne, AD; Silverman, JD; Leff, JW; Bennett, DJ; Darcy, JL; Mukherjee, S; Fierer, N; David, LA, Phylogenetic factorization of compositional data yields lineage-level associations in microbiome datasets, PeerJ, vol 2017 no. 2 (2017) [10.7717/peerj.2969] [abs].
- Boursier, J; Mueller, O; Barret, M; Machado, M; Fizanne, L; Araujo-Perez, F; Guy, CD; Seed, PC; Rawls, JF; David, LA; Hunault, G; Oberti, F; Calès, P; Diehl, AM, The severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is associated with gut dysbiosis and shift in the metabolic function of the gut microbiota., Hepatology, vol 63 no. 3 (2016), pp. 764-775 [10.1002/hep.28356] [abs].
- Wong, S; Stephens, WZ; Burns, AR; Stagaman, K; David, LA; Bohannan, BJM; Guillemin, K; Rawls, JF, Ontogenetic Differences in Dietary Fat Influence Microbiota Assembly in the Zebrafish Gut., mBio, vol 6 no. 5 (2015), pp. e00687-e00615 [10.1128/mbio.00687-15] [abs].
- David, LA; Weil, A; Ryan, ET; Calderwood, SB; Harris, JB; Chowdhury, F; Begum, Y; Qadri, F; LaRocque, RC; Turnbaugh, PJ, Gut microbial succession follows acute secretory diarrhea in humans., mBio, vol 6 no. 3 (2015), pp. e00381-e00315 [10.1128/mbio.00381-15] [abs].
- David, LA; Materna, AC; Friedman, J; Campos-Baptista, MI; Blackburn, MC; Perrotta, A; Erdman, SE; Alm, EJ, Host lifestyle affects human microbiota on daily timescales., Genome Biology: biology for the post-genomic era, vol 15 no. 7 (2014) [10.1186/gb-2014-15-7-r89] [abs].