Lawrence Anthony David
Assistant Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: Box 3382, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-5388
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
To understand, predict, and manipulate how human microbiota behave over time. We are particularly interested in how these human-associated microbial communities resist and respond to perturbation.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Sloan Research Fellowship-Molecular Biology. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2014
- Harvard Society Junior Fellows. Harvard Society of Fellows. 2010
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- MGM 293: Research Independent Study I
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Microbes Evolved to Colonize Different Parts of the Human Body (Mar 20, 2017)
- Ten Scientists to Watch: Lawrence Davids gut check gets personal (Sep 22, 2016 | Science News )
- A Little Dirt Won't Hurt You (Jun 17, 2016)
- New Collaborative Seed Grant Program Gives Eight Awards (Mar 16, 2016)
- Lawrence David Named Searle Scholar (Apr 15, 2015)
- Q-and-A: Scientist studied his poop for a year to learn about gut bugs (Jul 25, 2014 | National Geographic )
- Lawrence David Gets to the Gut of the Matter (May 13, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- Five Science Faculty Win Sloan Fellowships (Feb 18, 2014)
- Changes in diet can alter gut bacteria within 24 hours (Dec 12, 2013 | Fox News, LiveScience )
- MIcrobes R Us (Oct 23, 2013)
- Silverman, JD; Washburne, AD; Mukherjee, S; David, LA, A phylogenetic transform enhances analysis of compositional microbiota data., eLife, vol 6 (2017) [10.7554/elife.21887] [abs].
- Zhang, Y; Zhao, Y; David, L; Henao, R; Carin, L, Dynamic poisson factor analysis, Proceedings / IEEE International Conference on Data Mining. IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (2017), pp. 1359-1364 [10.1109/ICDM.2016.111] [abs].
- Reese, AT; Lulow, K; David, LA; Wright, JP, Plant community and soil conditions individually affect soil microbial community assembly in experimental mesocosms, Ecology and Evolution (2017) [10.1002/ece3.3734] [abs].
- Washburne, AD; Silverman, JD; Leff, JW; Bennett, DJ; Darcy, JL; Mukherjee, S; Fierer, N; David, LA, Phylogenetic factorization of compositional data yields lineage-level associations in microbiome datasets., PeerJ, vol 5 (2017) [10.7717/peerj.2969] [abs].
- Boursier, J; Mueller, O; Barret, M; Machado, M; Fizanne, L; Araujo-Perez, F; Guy, CD; Seed, PC; Rawls, JF; David, LA; Hunault, G; Oberti, F; Calès, P; Diehl, AM, The severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is associated with gut dysbiosis and shift in the metabolic function of the gut microbiota., Hepatology, vol 63 no. 3 (2016), pp. 764-775 [10.1002/hep.28356] [abs].