Kevin M Caves
Clinical Associate in the Department of Surgery
Technology and Design for People with Disabilities
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
Appointments and Affiliations
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Surgery
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Medicine
- Office Location: 170 Baker House, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-3540
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, 1989
- M.E. Duke University, 2003
- B.S.M.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1987
Kevin Caves researches technologies for people with disabilities. Recent projects include the development of brain computer interface (BCI) technologies, the use of sensors to assist older people and individuals with disabilities live more independently and safely at home, and telerehabilitation techniques to improve delivery of assistive technology services.
- BME 390S: Special Topics Seminar in BME
- BME 460L: Devices for People with Disabilities (DR)
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication
In the News
- Duke research is helping ALS patients communicate (Oct 8, 2013 | UNC-TV’s “North Carolina Now")
- Allen, KD; Bongiorni, D; Caves, K; Coffman, CJ; Floegel, TA; Greysen, HM; Hall, KS; Heiderscheit, B; Hoenig, HM; Huffman, KM; Morey, MC; Ramasunder, S; Severson, H; Smith, B; Van Houtven, C; Woolson, S, STepped exercise program for patients with knee OsteoArthritis (STEP-KOA): protocol for a randomized controlled trial., Bmc Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol 20 no. 1 (2019) [10.1186/s12891-019-2627-8] [abs].
- Li, M; Loomis, B; Caves, K, Work in progress: Project tadpole - A student-led engineering service club, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2018-June (2018) [abs].
- Hoenig, HM; Amis, K; Edmonds, C; Morgan, MS; Landerman, L; Caves, K, Testing fine motor coordination via telehealth: Effects of video characteristics on reliability and validity., J Telemed Telecare, vol 24 no. 5 (2018), pp. 365-372 [10.1177/1357633X17700032] [abs].
- Ryan, DB; Colwell, KA; Throckmorton, CS; Collins, LM; Caves, K; Sellers, EW, Evaluating Brain-Computer Interface Performance in an ALS Population: Checkerboard and Color Paradigms., Clin Eeg Neurosci, vol 49 no. 2 (2018), pp. 114-121 [10.1177/1550059417737443] [abs].
- Asano, M; Tai, BC; Chen, C; Yen, SC; Tay, A; Cheong, A; Ng, YS; De Silva, DA; Caves, K; Kumar, Y; Phan, SW; Cai, V; Wong, N; Chew, E; Chen, Z; Hoenig, H; Koh, G, Home-based tele-rehabilitation presents comparable and positive impact on self-reported functional outcomes as center-based rehabilitation: Singapore tele-technology aided rehabilitation in stroke (STARS) trial, Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (2018) [10.1016/j.rehab.2018.05.048] [abs].