Kevin M Caves
Clinical Associate in the Department of Surgery
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
Appointments and Affiliations
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Surgery
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Medicine
- Office Location: 170 Baker House, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-3540
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, 1989
- M.E. Duke University, 2003
- B.S.M.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1987
Kevin Caves researches technologies for people with disabilities. Recent projects include the development of brain computer interface (BCI) technologies, the use of sensors to assist older people and individuals with disabilities live more independently and safely at home, and telerehabilitation techniques to improve delivery of assistive technology services.
- Technology and Design for People with Disabilities
- Assistive Technology
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Computer Technology
- BME 390S: Special Topics Seminar in BME
- BME 460L: Devices for People with Disabilities (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
In the News
- Duke research is helping ALS patients communicate (Oct 8, 2013 | UNC-TV’s “North Carolina Now" )
- Ryan, DB; Colwell, KA; Throckmorton, CS; Collins, LM; Caves, K; Sellers, EW, Evaluating Brain-Computer Interface Performance in an ALS Population: Checkerboard and Color Paradigms., Clinical EEG and neuroscience : official journal of the EEG and Clinical Neuroscience Society (ENCS), vol 49 no. 2 (2018), pp. 114-121 [10.1177/1550059417737443] [abs].
- Reinkensmeyer, DJ; Blackstone, S; Bodine, C; Brabyn, J; Brienza, D; Caves, K; DeRuyter, F; Durfee, E; Fatone, S; Fernie, G; Gard, S; Karg, P; Kuiken, TA; Harris, GF; Jones, M; Li, Y; Maisel, J; McCue, M; Meade, MA; Mitchell, H; Mitzner, TL; Patton, JL; Requejo, PS; Rimmer, JH; Rogers, WA; Zev Rymer, W; Sanford, JA; Schneider, L; Sliker, L; Sprigle, S; Steinfeld, A; Steinfeld, E; Vanderheiden, G; Winstein, C; Zhang, L-Q; Corfman, T, How a diverse research ecosystem has generated new rehabilitation technologies: Review of NIDILRR's Rehabilitation Engineering Research Centers., Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, vol 14 no. 1 (2017) [10.1186/s12984-017-0321-3] [abs].
- Kalika, D; Collins, L; Caves, K; Throckmorton, C, Fusion of P300 and eye-tracker data for spelling using BCI2000, Journal of Neural Engineering, vol 14 no. 5 (2017), pp. 056010-056010 [10.1088/1741-2552/aa776b] [abs].
- Venkataraman, K; Morgan, M; Amis, KA; Landerman, LR; Koh, GC; Caves, K; Hoenig, H, Tele-Assessment of the Berg Balance Scale: Effects of Transmission Characteristics., Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol 98 no. 4 (2017), pp. 659-664.e1 [10.1016/j.apmr.2016.10.019] [abs].
- Hoenig, HM; Amis, K; Edmonds, C; Morgan, MS; Landerman, L; Caves, K, Testing fine motor coordination via telehealth: effects of video characteristics on reliability and validity., Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare (2017) [10.1177/1357633x17700032] [abs].