Kam W Leong
Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor Leong's research interest focuses on biomaterials design, particularly on synthesis of nanoparticles for DNA-based therapeutics, and nanostructured biomaterials for regenerative medicine
- design of self-assembled fibers for tissue engineering
- microfluidics-mediated synthesis of multifunctional nanoparticles for drug and gene delivery
- synthesis of novel quantum dots for biomedical applications
Controlled Drug and Gene Delivery:
- oral gene delivery for hemophilia A and B
- non-viral gene delivery to the GI tract
- oral delivery of antigen genes for vaccination
- study of response of stem cells to nanotopographical cues
- expansion of hematopoietic stem cells
- nerve guidance channels with drug and gene delivery functions
- microencapsulation of stem cells and genetically-engineered cells
- development of bioartificial nucleus pulposus device
- study of interaction of stem cells with synthetic nanostructured biomaterials
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 1395 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8466
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- B.S.CH.E. University of California at Santa Barbara, 1977
Leong's research interest focuses on biomaterials design, particularly on synthesis of nanoparticles for DNA-based therapeutics, and nanostructured biomaterials for regenerative medicine.
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Clemson Award for Applied Research. Society for Biomaterials. 2012
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
In the News
- Peters, EB; Christoforou, N; Leong, KW; Truskey, GA; West, JL, Poly(ethylene glycol) Hydrogel Scaffolds Containing Cell-Adhesive and Protease-Sensitive Peptides Support Microvessel Formation by Endothelial Progenitor Cells., Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, vol 9 no. 1 (2016), pp. 38-54 [abs].
- Jung, Y; Ji, H; Chen, Z; Fai Chan, H; Atchison, L; Klitzman, B; Truskey, G; Leong, KW, Scaffold-free, Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Based Tissue Engineered Blood Vessels., Scientific Reports, vol 5 (2015), pp. 15116-15116 [10.1038/srep15116] [abs].
- Huang, S; Srimani, JK; Lee, AJ; Zhang, Y; Lopatkin, AJ; Leong, KW; You, L, Dynamic control and quantification of bacterial population dynamics in droplets., Biomaterials, vol 61 (2015), pp. 239-245 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2015.05.038] [abs].
- Park, JS; Suryaprakash, S; Lao, Y-H; Leong, KW, Engineering mesenchymal stem cells for regenerative medicine and drug delivery, Methods, vol 84 (2015), pp. 3-16 [10.1016/j.ymeth.2015.03.002] [abs].
- Hong, S; Sycks, D; Chan, HF; Lin, S; Lopez, GP; Guilak, F; Leong, KW; Zhao, X, 3D Printing of Highly Stretchable and Tough Hydrogels into Complex, Cellularized Structures., Advanced Materials, vol 27 no. 27 (2015), pp. 4035-4040 [10.1002/adma.201501099] [abs].