Joseph A Izatt
Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Biophotonics is concerned with the application of cutting-edge optoelectronic technologies to problems in the biomedical sciences. My research centers on the application of optical technologies for non-invasive, high-resolution imaging and sensing in living biological tissues. The technologies we use in my laboratory include acousto-optic and integrated-optic devices, femtosecond lasers, and ultrabroadband fiber optic telecommunications equipment. The applications of the systems we build include noninvasive medical diagnostics, in-vivo tomographic microscopes, and high-throughput three-dimensional small animal imaging systems for genomics studies. Our work involves multiple collaborations with engineers, biologists, and physicians at Duke and elsewhere.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in Ophthalmology
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5128
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1991
Research InterestsProfessor Izatt's research interests are in the area of biophotonics and include coherence-based biomedical imaging and microscopy, novel technologies for ophthalmic imaging, and nanoscale studies of cellular morphology and dynamics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Optical Society of America. 2009
- Fellow. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2008
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 2007
- BME 271: Signals and Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 436L: Biophotonic Instrumentation (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- Shen, L; Carrasco-Zevallos, O; Keller, B; Viehland, C; Waterman, G; Hahn, PS; Kuo, AN; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA, Novel microscope-integrated stereoscopic heads-up display for intrasurgical optical coherence tomography., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 7 no. 5 (2016), pp. 1711-1726 [abs].
- Viehland, C; Keller, B; Carrasco-Zevallos, OM; Nankivil, D; Shen, L; Mangalesh, S; Viet, DT; Kuo, AN; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA, Enhanced volumetric visualization for real time 4D intraoperative ophthalmic swept-source OCT., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 7 no. 5 (2016), pp. 1815-1829 [abs].
- Chen, Z; Huang, D; Izatt, JA; Wang, RK; Werner, JS; Yasuno, Y, Re: Spaide et al.: Volume-rendering optical coherence tomography angiography of macular telangiectasia type 2 (Ophthalmology 2015;122:2261-9)., Ophthalmology: Journal of The American Academy of Ophthalmology, vol 123 no. 3 (2016) [abs].
- McNabb, RP; Grewal, DS; Mehta, R; Schuman, SG; Izatt, JA; Mahmoud, TH; Jaffe, GJ; Mruthyunjaya, P; Kuo, AN, Wide field of view swept-source optical coherence tomography for peripheral retinal disease., British Journal of Ophthalmology (2016) [abs].
- DeCruz, A; Izatt, JA; Nankivil, D, On the use of OCT to examine the varnish layer of paintings cleaned with an Er: YAG laser, PHOTOPTICS 2016 - Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Photonics, Optics and Laser Technology (2016), pp. 109-114 [abs].