Geoffrey S Ginsburg
Professor of Medicine
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in Pathology
- Professor in the School of Nursing
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Director of MEDx (Medicine and Engineering at Duke)
- Director of Duke Center for Applied Genomics and Precision Medicine
- Office Location: 101 Science Dr, Rm 2111, CIEMAS Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-6210
- Ph.D. Boston University, 1984
- M.D. Boston University, 1984
Dr. Geoffrey S. Ginsburg's research interests are in the development of novel paradigms for developing and translating genomic information into medical practice and the integration of personalized medicine into health care.
- GENOME 293-1: Research Independent Study Genome Policy
- GENOME 293: Research Independent Study Genome Sciences
- GENOME 294: Research Independent Study Genome Sciences
- SCISOC 294: Research Independent Study in Genome Sciences
In the News
- Proteins in Your Runny Nose Could Reveal a Viral Infection (Feb 22, 2017 | Duke Health News )
- Time to Focus on Your Family Health History (Dec 15, 2015)
- Dr. Geoffrey Ginsburg: The evolution of precision medicine (Oct 21, 2015 | U.S. News & World Report )
- Diagnostic developers target antibiotic resistance (Oct 20, 2015 | Nature )
- Bacterial or Viral? Diagnostic Tool May Help Doctors Track Infection Source (Oct 11, 2015)
- Ginsburg Named Director of School of Medicine-Pratt School Partnership (Aug 10, 2015)
- A fruit billionaire tries to rewrite the textbook on medicine (Jun 20, 2014 | Newsweek )
- Duke Announces Reorganization of Genome Sciences (Mar 24, 2014)
- Blood test can determine whether illness is caused by virus or bacteria (Sep 19, 2013 | CBS News, AP )
- Genomic Test Accurately Sorts Viral vs. Bacterial Infections (Sep 18, 2013)
- Is Aspirin Therapy for You? (Jul 7, 2013)
- Manolio, TA; Abramowicz, M; Al-Mulla, F; Anderson, W; Balling, R; Berger, AC; Bleyl, S; Chakravarti, A; Chantratita, W; Chisholm, RL; Dissanayake, VHW; Dunn, M; Dzau, VJ; Han, B-G; Hubbard, T; Kolbe, A; Korf, B; Kubo, M; Lasko, P; Leego, E; Mahasirimongkol, S; Majumdar, PP; Matthijs, G; McLeod, HL; Metspalu, A; Meulien, P; Miyano, S; Naparstek, Y; O'Rourke, PP; Patrinos, GP; Rehm, HL; Relling, MV; Rennert, G; Rodriguez, LL; Roden, DM; Shuldiner, AR; Sinha, S; Tan, P; Ulfendahl, M; Ward, R et al., Global implementation of genomic medicine: We are not alone., Science Translational Medicine, vol 7 no. 290 (2015) [10.1126/scitranslmed.aab0194] [abs].
- Dzau, VJ; Ginsburg, GS; Van Nuys, K; Agus, D; Goldman, D, Aligning incentives to fulfil the promise of personalised medicine., The Lancet, vol 385 no. 9982 (2015), pp. 2118-2119 [10.1016/s0140-6736(15)60722-x] [abs].
- Benjamin, AM; Nichols, M; Burke, TW; Ginsburg, GS; Lucas, JE, Comparing reference-based RNA-Seq mapping methods for non-human primate data., BMC Genomics, vol 15 (2014) [10.1186/1471-2164-15-570] [abs].
- Kraft, BD; Piantadosi, CA; Benjamin, AM; Lucas, JE; Zaas, AK; Betancourt-Quiroz, M; Woods, CW; Chang, AL; Roggli, VL; Marshall, CD; Ginsburg, GS; Welty-Wolf, K, Development of a novel preclinical model of pneumococcal pneumonia in nonhuman primates., American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology, vol 50 no. 5 (2014), pp. 995-1004 [10.1165/rcmb.2013-0340OC] [abs].
- Ngo, HT; Wang, H-N; Burke, T; Ginsburg, GS; Vo-Dinh, T, Multiplex detection of disease biomarkers using SERS molecular sentinel-on-chip., Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol 406 no. 14 (2014), pp. 3335-3344 [10.1007/s00216-014-7648-4] [abs].
- Power, A; Berger, AC; Ginsburg, GS, Genomics-enabled drug repositioning and repurposing: insights from an IOM Roundtable activity., JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association, vol 311 no. 20 (2014), pp. 2063-2064 [10.1001/jama.2014.3002] [abs].
- Ginsburg, G, Medical genomics: Gather and use genetic data in health care., Nature, vol 508 no. 7497 (2014), pp. 451-453 [10.1038/508451a] [abs].
- Ngo, HT; Wang, HN; Burke, T; Ginsburg, GS; Vo-Dinh, T, Multiplex detection of disease biomarkers using SERS molecular sentinel-on-chip Multiplex Platforms in Diagnostics and Bioanalytics, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol 406 no. 14 (2014), pp. 3335-3344 [10.1007/s00216-014-7648-4] [abs].
- Tsalik, EL; Langley, RJ; Dinwiddie, DL; Miller, NA; Yoo, B; van Velkinburgh, JC; Smith, LD; Thiffault, I; Jaehne, AK; Valente, AM; Henao, R; Yuan, X; Glickman, SW; Rice, BJ; McClain, MT; Carin, L; Corey, GR; Ginsburg, GS; Cairns, CB; Otero, RM; Fowler, VG; Rivers, EP; Woods, CW; Kingsmore, SF, An integrated transcriptome and expressed variant analysis of sepsis survival and death., Genome Medicine: medicine in the post-genomic era, vol 6 no. 11 (2014) [10.1186/s13073-014-0111-5] [abs].
- Voora, D; Cyr, D; Lucas, J; Chi, J-T; Dungan, J; McCaffrey, TA; Katz, R; Newby, LK; Kraus, WE; Becker, RC; Ortel, TL; Ginsburg, GS, Aspirin exposure reveals novel genes associated with platelet function and cardiovascular events., Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 62 no. 14 (2013), pp. 1267-1276 [10.1016/j.jacc.2013.05.073] [abs].
- Zaas, AK; Burke, T; Chen, M; McClain, M; Nicholson, B; Veldman, T; Tsalik, EL; Fowler, V; Rivers, EP; Otero, R; Kingsmore, SF; Voora, D; Lucas, J; Hero, AO; Carin, L; Woods, CW; Ginsburg, GS, A host-based RT-PCR gene expression signature to identify acute respiratory viral infection., Science Translational Medicine, vol 5 no. 203 (2013) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3006280] [abs].
- Langley, RJ; Tsalik, EL; van Velkinburgh, JC; Glickman, SW; Rice, BJ; Wang, C; Chen, B; Carin, L; Suarez, A; Mohney, RP; Freeman, DH; Wang, M; You, J; Wulff, J; Thompson, JW; Moseley, MA; Reisinger, S; Edmonds, BT; Grinnell, B; Nelson, DR; Dinwiddie, DL; Miller, NA; Saunders, CJ; Soden, SS; Rogers, AJ; Gazourian, L; Fredenburgh, LE; Massaro, AF; Baron, RM; Choi, AMK; Corey, GR; Ginsburg, GS; Cairns, CB; Otero, RM; Fowler, VG; Rivers, EP; Woods, CW; Kingsmore, SF, An integrated clinico-metabolomic model improves prediction of death in sepsis., Science Translational Medicine, vol 5 no. 195 (2013) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3005893] [abs].
- Wang, H-N; Fales, AM; Zaas, AK; Woods, CW; Burke, T; Ginsburg, GS; Vo-Dinh, T, Surface-enhanced Raman scattering molecular sentinel nanoprobes for viral infection diagnostics., Analytica Chimica Acta, vol 786 (2013), pp. 153-158 [10.1016/j.aca.2013.05.017] [abs].
- Orlando, LA; Buchanan, AH; Hahn, SE; Christianson, CA; Powell, KP; Skinner, CS; Chesnut, B; Blach, C; Due, B; Ginsburg, GS; Henrich, VC, Development and validation of a primary care-based family health history and decision support program (MeTree)., North Carolina Medical Journal, vol 74 no. 4 (2013), pp. 287-296 [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS, Realizing the opportunities of genomics in health care., JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association, vol 309 no. 14 (2013), pp. 1463-1464 [10.1001/jama.2013.1465] [abs].
- Khoury, MJ; Lam, TK; Ioannidis, JPA; Hartge, P; Spitz, MR; Buring, JE; Chanock, SJ; Croyle, RT; Goddard, KA; Ginsburg, GS; Herceg, Z; Hiatt, RA; Hoover, RN; Hunter, DJ; Kramer, BS; Lauer, MS; Meyerhardt, JA; Olopade, OI; Palmer, JR; Sellers, TA; Seminara, D; Ransohoff, DF; Rebbeck, TR; Tourassi, G; Winn, DM; Zauber, A; Schully, SD, Transforming Epidemiology for 21st Century Medicine and Public Health, Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology, vol 22 no. 4 (2013), pp. 508-516 [10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-13-0146] [abs].
- Henao, R; Murray, J; Ginsburg, G; Carin, L; Lucas, JE, Patient clustering with uncoded text in electronic medical records., AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium, vol 2013 (2013), pp. 592-599 [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Kuderer, NM, Comparative effectiveness research, genomics-enabled personalized medicine, and rapid learning health care: a common bond., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 30 no. 34 (2012), pp. 4233-4242 [10.1200/JCO.2012.42.6114] [abs].
- Zarco, MF; Vess, TJ; Ginsburg, GS, The oral microbiome in health and disease and the potential impact on personalized dental medicine., Oral Diseases, vol 18 no. 2 (2012), pp. 109-120 [10.1111/j.1601-0825.2011.01851.x] [abs].
- Orlando, LA; Hauser, ER; Christianson, C; Powell, KP; Buchanan, AH; Chesnut, B; Agbaje, AB; Henrich, VC; Ginsburg, G, Protocol for implementation of family health history collection and decision support into primary care using a computerized family health history system., BMC Health Services Research, vol 11 (2011) [10.1186/1472-6963-11-264] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Staples, J; Abernethy, AP, Academic medical centers: ripe for rapid-learning personalized health care., Science Translational Medicine, vol 3 no. 101 (2011) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3002386] [abs].
- Chen, M; Zaas, A; Woods, C; Ginsburg, GS; Lucas, J; Dunson, D; Carin, L, Predicting viral infection from high-dimensional biomarker trajectories, Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol 106 no. 496 (2011), pp. 1259-1279 [10.1198/jasa.2011.ap10611] [abs].
- Chan, IS; Ginsburg, GS, Personalized medicine: progress and promise., Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics, vol 12 (2011), pp. 217-244 [10.1146/annurev-genom-082410-101446] [abs].
- Altshuler, JS; Balogh, E; Barker, AD; Eck, SL; Friend, SH; Ginsburg, GS; Herbst, RS; Nass, SJ; Streeter, CM; Wagner, JA, Opening up to precompetitive collaboration, Science Translational Medicine, vol 2 no. 52 (2010) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3001515] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS, Regression of atherosclerosis with therapeutic antibodies pipe cleaner or pipe dream?, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 50 no. 24 (2007), pp. 2319-2321 [10.1016/j.jacc.2007.08.039] [abs].
- Lugogo, NL; Ginsburg, GS; Que, LG, Genetic profiling and tailored therapy in asthma: are we there yet?, Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics, vol 9 no. 6 (2007), pp. 528-537 [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Shah, SH; McCarthy, JJ, Taking cardiovascular genetic association studies to the next level., Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 50 no. 10 (2007), pp. 930-932 [10.1016/j.jacc.2007.05.025] [abs].
- Parker, A; Izmailova, ES; Narang, J; Badola, S; Le, T; Roubenoff, R; Ginsburg, GS; Maier, A; Coblyn, JS; Shadick, NA; Weinblatt, ME, Peripheral blood expression of nuclear factor-kappab-regulated genes is associated with rheumatoid arthritis disease activity and responds differentially to anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha versus methotrexate., The Journal of rheumatology, vol 34 no. 9 (2007), pp. 1817-1822 [abs].
- Dressman, HK; Muramoto, GG; Chao, NJ; Meadows, S; Marshall, D; Ginsburg, GS; Nevins, JR; Chute, JP, Gene expression signatures that predict radiation exposure in mice and humans., PLoS medicine, vol 4 no. 4 (2007) [10.1371/journal.pmed.0040106] [abs].
- Dressman, HK; Berchuck, A; Chan, G; Zhai, J; Bild, A; Sayer, R; Cragun, J; Clarke, J; Whitaker, RS; Li, L; Gray, J; Marks, J; Ginsburg, GS; Potti, A; West, M; Nevins, JR; Lancaster, JM, An integrated genomic-based approach to individualized treatment of patients with advanced-stage ovarian cancer., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 25 no. 5 (2007), pp. 517-525 [10.1200/JCO.2006.06.3743] [abs].
- Potti, A; Dressman, HK; Bild, A; Riedel, RF; Chan, G; Sayer, R; Cragun, J; Cottrill, H; Kelley, MJ; Petersen, R; Harpole, D; Marks, J; Berchuck, A; Ginsburg, GS; Febbo, P; Lancaster, J; Nevins, JR, Genomic signatures to guide the use of chemotherapeutics., Nature Medicine, vol 12 no. 11 (2006), pp. 1294-1300 [10.1038/nm1491] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Seo, D; Frazier, C, Microarrays coming of age in cardiovascular medicine: standards, predictions, and biology., Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 48 no. 8 (2006), pp. 1618-1620 [10.1016/j.jacc.2006.07.025] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Angrist, M; Cook-Deegan, R, Public health. Genomics and medicine at a crossroads in Chernobyl., Science, vol 314 no. 5796 (2006), pp. 62-63 [10.1126/science.1130274] [abs].
- Stallings, SC; Huse, D; Finkelstein, SN; Crown, WH; Witt, WP; Maguire, J; Hiller, AJ; Sinskey, AJ; Ginsburg, GS, A framework to evaluate the economic impact of pharmacogenomics., Pharmacogenomics, vol 7 no. 6 (2006), pp. 853-862 [10.2217/14622422.214.171.1243] [abs].
- Potti, A; Mukherjee, S; Petersen, R; Dressman, HK; Bild, A; Koontz, J; Kratzke, R; Watson, MA; Kelley, M; Ginsburg, GS; West, M; Harpole, DH; Nevins, JR, A genomic strategy to refine prognosis in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer., The New England journal of medicine, vol 355 no. 6 (2006), pp. 570-580 [10.1056/NEJMoa060467] [abs].
- Seo, D; Ginsburg, GS; Goldschmidt-Clermont, PJ, Gene expression analysis of cardiovascular diseases: novel insights into biology and clinical applications., Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 48 no. 2 (2006), pp. 227-235 [10.1016/j.jacc.2006.02.070] [abs].
- Haga, SB; Ginsburg, GS, Prescribing BiDil: is it black and white?, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 48 no. 1 (2006), pp. 12-14 [10.1016/j.jacc.2006.04.017] [abs].
- Cotten, CM; Ginsburg, GS; Goldberg, RN; Speer, MC, Genomic analyses: a neonatology perspective., The Journal of Pediatrics, vol 148 no. 6 (2006), pp. 720-726 [10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.01.006] [abs].
- West, M; Ginsburg, GS; Huang, AT; Nevins, JR, Embracing the complexity of genomic data for personalized medicine., Genome research, vol 16 no. 5 (2006), pp. 559-566 [10.1101/gr.3851306] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Haga, SB, Translating genomic biomarkers into clinically useful diagnostics., Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics: new diagnostic technologies are set to revolutionise healthcare, vol 6 no. 2 (2006), pp. 179-191 [10.1586/14737126.96.36.199] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Konstance, RP; Allsbrook, JS; Schulman, KA, Implications of pharmacogenomics for drug development and clinical practice., Archives of internal medicine, vol 165 no. 20 (2005), pp. 2331-2336 [10.1001/archinte.165.20.2331] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Donahue, MP; Newby, LK, Prospects for personalized cardiovascular medicine: the impact of genomics., Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol 46 no. 9 (2005), pp. 1615-1627 [10.1016/j.jacc.2005.06.075] [abs].
- Willard, HF; Angrist, M; Ginsburg, GS, Genomic medicine: genetic variation and its impact on the future of health care., Philosophical Transactions B, vol 360 no. 1460 (2005), pp. 1543-1550 [10.1098/rstb.2005.1683] [abs].
- Seo, D; Ginsburg, GS, Genomic medicine: bringing biomarkers to clinical medicine., Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol 9 no. 4 (2005), pp. 381-386 [10.1016/j.cbpa.2005.06.009] [abs].
- Abrahams, E; Ginsburg, GS; Silver, M, The Personalized Medicine Coalition: goals and strategies., American journal of pharmacogenomics : genomics-related research in drug development and clinical practice, vol 5 no. 6 (2005), pp. 345-355 [abs].
- Ross, JS; Schenkein, DP; Pietrusko, R; Rolfe, M; Linette, GP; Stec, J; Stagliano, NE; Ginsburg, GS; Symmans, WF; Pusztai, L; Hortobagyi, GN, Targeted therapies for cancer 2004., American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol 122 no. 4 (2004), pp. 598-609 [10.1309/5CWP-U41A-FR1V-YM3F] [abs].
- Ross, JS; Ginsburg, GS, Integration of molecular diagnostics with therapeutics: implications for drug discovery and patient care., Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics: new diagnostic technologies are set to revolutionise healthcare, vol 2 no. 6 (2002), pp. 531-541 [10.1586/14737188.8.131.521] [abs].
- Meyer, JM; Ginsburg, GS, The path to personalized medicine., Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol 6 no. 4 (2002), pp. 434-438 [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; McCarthy, JJ, Personalized medicine: revolutionizing drug discovery and patient care., Trends in Biotechnology, vol 19 no. 12 (2001), pp. 491-496 [abs].