Lazlo Ormandy Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Lazlo Ormandy Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in Cell Biology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Phone: (919) 684-2521
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 1991
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Borelli Award. American Society of Biomechanics. 2010
- Fellows. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2007
- Marshall R. Urist Award. Orthopaedic Research Society. 2006
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 2005
- Y.C. Fung Young Investigator Award. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2000
- New Investigator Recognition Award Winners. Orthopaedic Research Society. 1994
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Mellor, LF; Mohiti-Asli, M; Williams, J; Kannan, A; Dent, MR; Guilak, F; Loboa, EG, Extracellular Calcium Modulates Chondrogenic and Osteogenic Differentiation of Human Adipose-Derived Stem Cells: A Novel Approach for Osteochondral Tissue Engineering Using a Single Stem Cell Source., Tissue Engineering, Part A, vol 21 no. 17-18 (2015), pp. 2323-2333 [10.1089/ten.tea.2014.0572] [abs].
- Olson, SA; Furman, BD; Kraus, VB; Huebner, JL; Guilak, F, Therapeutic opportunities to prevent post-traumatic arthritis: Lessons from the natural history of arthritis after articular fracture., Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol 33 no. 9 (2015), pp. 1266-1277 [10.1002/jor.22940] [abs].
- Orr, SB; Chainani, A; Hippensteel, KJ; Kishan, A; Gilchrist, C; Garrigues, NW; Ruch, DS; Guilak, F; Little, D, Aligned multilayered electrospun scaffolds for rotator cuff tendon tissue engineering., Acta Biomaterialia, vol 24 (2015), pp. 117-126 [10.1016/j.actbio.2015.06.010] [abs].
- Hong, S; Sycks, D; Chan, HF; Lin, S; Lopez, GP; Guilak, F; Leong, KW; Zhao, X, 3D Printing of Highly Stretchable and Tough Hydrogels into Complex, Cellularized Structures., Advanced Materials, vol 27 no. 27 (2015), pp. 4035-4040 [10.1002/adma.201501099] [abs].
- Carter, TE; Taylor, KA; Spritzer, CE; Utturkar, GM; Taylor, DC; III, MCT; Garrett, WE; Guilak, F; McNulty, AL; DeFrate, LE, In vivo cartilage strain increases following medial meniscal tear and correlates with synovial fluid matrix metalloproteinase activity, Journal of Biomechanics, vol 48 no. 8 (2015), pp. 1461-1468 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.02.030] [abs].